Why is Remote Desktop app from MS Store not aligned with Windows Desktop app releases?

Brass Contributor

Hi, 

I recently struggled to login to some new "Azure Virtual Desktop" VMs, using the MS Store version of "Remote desktop".  This app is, at time of writing, the version 1.2.1810 (https://github.com/MicrosoftDocs/windowsserverdocs/blob/a4b5827771360b24b69b567de2a3244a067c27df/Win...

Unfortunately, if you try to connect to these VMs with your AAD account/UPN, you get a nice username/password incorrect (I am also connecting from a machine that is AAD-bound in same tenant). However, if you install the so-called "Windows Desktop" app (that is BTW also called "Remote Desktop" in your start menu...), then everything is fine.   At time of writing, the app version is 1.2.2459.

So while they were already few "Windows Desktop" recent revisions published by MS, the version from the Store is still the one from march 2021 (What's new in the Microsoft Store client | Microsoft Docs)

Beside this authentication annoyance, I am wondering why the "Remote Desktop" MS Store version has no feature-parity with the "Windows Desktop" app, and why the one from the Store (which is basically easier to install in 1-click, then playing with a MSI download/installation...), seems always lagging behind?

When you look at Remote Desktop clients feature comparison | Microsoft Docs, there is here yet another naming scheme : Windows Inbox, Windows Desktop, Microsoft Store. Is there no way to harmonize the naming and articles?

0 Replies