Windows Server Summit 2024
Mar 26 2024 08:00 AM - Mar 28 2024 04:30 PM (PDT)
Microsoft Tech Community
LIVE

WD_Black SN850 NVME SSD

Copper Contributor

Please help me with the Above SSD, not able to install windows server 2019 on the WD_black NVME SSD.

4 Replies
Without any information regarding Server model, (Raid-)controller we can only guess.. There's no reason in my opinion that it wouldn't install, when running the installation it doesn't recognize any disk?

No one will know from what you posted. Does the server have support for the operating system?

Windows Server Catalog

What happens when you try? If the installer complains about no disks found then you may need to provide the manufacturer's disk controller driver during setup.

DavePatrick_0-1651501309893.png

Any update for us?

@mandysrujan 

Hello mandysrujan,

Please provide me your server specification, especially the motherboard name, because it might be a reason for the incorrect Bios setting.

You can try installing the required drivers and attempting booting in EFM mode. It will help you to resolve the NVMe SSD drive issue. 

NVMe drives have always been a problem with Windows 2019 servers since these drives came in, and they are used widely.

But In case it doesn't work, then you should try the below steps,

1. Firstly, Disable CSM or UEFI
  2. You should Enable Secure Boot
  3. Now the installer can grant access to the NVME SSD
  4. Format the drive
  5. Restart the server
  6. Now, Enable CSM / UEFI
  7. Disable Secure Boot from the server

If you have followed the steps above, you can proceed with the installation, and now the Windows server will allow you to install to the NVME SSD drive.

----------------
Regards,
Austin_M