Update Windows Server 2022 Std

Copper Contributor

Good morning, everyone!

Dear all,

Some time ago, I acquired a license to use Windows Server 2012 R2 Essentials. However, this version is reaching the end of its support, which led me to decide to upgrade the company's server to the latest version. We purchased Windows Server 2022 Standard and the necessary CALs. During the installation, I noticed that the 'Keep apps and personal files' option is not enabled. Correct me if I'm wrong, but this type of upgrade is classified as in-place.

I would like to ask for someone's help in finding a solution to this problem. The server has several important applications that I would prefer not to have to reinstall. I conducted a test using the WS 2016 and WS 2019 installers to try to upgrade to these versions first and then to WS 2022, but the option didn't enable in both versions.

I appreciate in advance for any guidance you can provide.

3 Replies

An in-place upgrade using evaluation media isn't possible to do. You must use licensed installation media. Also note an in-place is very risky and never recommended because of the risks and possible corruption carry forward. The much cleaner / safer option is to stand up the new one, patch fully, migrate roles over and move on.    

Using Windows Server Essentials 2019, I was able to select the option "Keep apps and files" during the upgrade. Then, I upgraded to Windows Server 2022 Standard according to the purchased license. Fortunately, in this process, I also found the option "Keep apps and files" enabled.

I'm not sure if it's the best option or the correct way, but this way, I was able to upgrade my Windows Server 2012 R2 Essentials to Windows Server 2022 Standard without the need to format and reinstall the programs that were running.

Right, as mentioned the trick is to not use evaluation media.