SOLVED

Server 2019 Essential Licensing Windows Server 2022

Copper Contributor

Hi

I have a Windows Server 2019 Essential License, can I use that to activate the Standard edition of Windows Server 2022 as stated on the article below or are they talking about Essential 2022, but I thought 2019 was the last edition of the Essential, am I misreading this, English isn't my first language.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server-essentials/get-started/get-started

"Note

With Windows Server 2022, the Essentials edition is available to purchase from OEMs only, however there is no specific installation media. Instead, an Essentials edition product key is used to activate the Standard edition of Windows Server 2022. You get all the same features. Learn how to get started with Windows Server 2022.

As a result, all the relevant documentation is found in the Windows Server documentation area."

4 Replies
best response confirmed by CaptainCash (Copper Contributor)
Solution

I have a Windows Server 2019 Essential License, can I use that to activate the Standard edition of Windows Server 2022

No, you could not. They are different products and version. You'll need a Server 2022 Standard product key in order to activate Server 2022 Standard

With Windows Server 2022, the Essentials edition is available to purchase from OEMs only, however there is no specific installation media.

Windows Server Essentials is available through our OEM Server Hardware partners. This means with the purchase of new hardware

Windows Server 2022 Licensing & Pricing | Microsoft

HI@Dave Patrick Thanks for the response must appreciated, though I'm still in the dark in terms of what is meant or how should I read the Note in the article, because it must mean something that I'm clearly not getting.

The only path to Server 2022 Essentials is via OEM purchase of new hardware.

Just checking if there's any progress or updates?

--please don't forget to upvote and mark helpful replies--

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by CaptainCash (Copper Contributor)
Solution

I have a Windows Server 2019 Essential License, can I use that to activate the Standard edition of Windows Server 2022

No, you could not. They are different products and version. You'll need a Server 2022 Standard product key in order to activate Server 2022 Standard

With Windows Server 2022, the Essentials edition is available to purchase from OEMs only, however there is no specific installation media.

Windows Server Essentials is available through our OEM Server Hardware partners. This means with the purchase of new hardware

Windows Server 2022 Licensing & Pricing | Microsoft

View solution in original post