Restore "previous full backup" of ntds.dit

Copper Contributor

I have a Windows server with active DC Role that cannot boot and I want to find out the reason why.

I am in Directory Services Restore Mode (DSRM) as the normal safe mode and the normal boot both crash with "STOP: c00002e2 Directory services could not start".
esentutil /mh ntds.dit tells me, that ntds.dit is in a "dirty shutdown" state, that is is shadowed and there is an "Previous full backup".
esentutil /p ntds.dit: does not result in a usable ntds.dit. (created a backup before)
vssadmin list shadows: no Shadow copies available here
previous full backup: Log Gen: 140-140 (0x8c-0x8c) - OSSnapshot

Question: How can I restore the backup from OSSnapshot - and What is OSSnapshot? (Is it related to Windows Backup?).

Thx

4 Replies

@Dave Patrick 
In the post you reference (and the references mentioned there) I see information about how to repair an ntds.dit. While this might be helpful as a last resort I do not understand how that answers my questions in this thread ("How can I restore the backup from OSSnapshot - and What is OSSnapshot? (Is it related to Windows Backup?"). If I miss the point, would you please elaborate more on how those references answer that question?
Thank you.

"How can I restore the backup from OSSnapshot - and What is OSSnapshot? (Is it related to Windows Backup?"). 

As far as I know its not related to microsoft products. might be this one.

Taking OS Snapshots (flexera.com)

@Dave Patrick 

I am not Aware of FlexeraStudio and there is no file or folder on the system that is named flexera or Admin Studio.

If it is not related to MS products, why does esentutil reference/know about it?