Migrating from Server 2012 Essentials to Server 2019

Brass Contributor

I have this problem with the SYSVOL folder stuck in the initialized status. The new domain controller (DC2) errors are below. I have tried all the following, but it still does not pass the initial replication. If I turn DC1 off, the domain group policy fails, and authentication breaks...

2.jpg1.jpg

1. Check Connectivity and Replication Partners:

Checked the network connectivity between the domain controllers. Used repadmin /showrepl to check the replication status and ensure that the domain controller is communicating with its partners.

New Domain Controller

3.jpg

I also ran repadmin /syncall /AdeP on both the old and new domain controllers and it returned no errors.

2. Force DFS Replication:

You can try to force DFSR to check with Active Directory by running the following command in an elevated command prompt:

DFSRDIAG POLLAD

Below is a screenshot of DC2 the SYSVOL on the new server, the folders are there, but policies and scripts, etc. are not being replicated.

4.jpg

3 Replies

The two prerequisites to introducing the first 2019 or 2022 domain controller are that domain functional level needs to be 2008 or higher and older sysvol FRS replication needs to have been migrated to DFSR

I'd use dcdiag / repadmin tools to verify health `correcting all errors found` before starting `any` operations. Then stand up the new 2019 or 2022, patch it fully, license it, join existing domain, add active directory domain services, promote it also making it a GC (recommended), transfer FSMO roles over (optional), transfer pdc emulator role (optional), use dcdiag / repadmin tools to again verify health, when all is good you can decommission / demote old one.  

Do not begin the process until the FRS->DSFR migration is complete.  

@Mark_Albin just checking if there's any progress or updates? please don't forget to close up the thread here by marking helpful replies.  

Hi Dave, I will be looking into this more in a couple of days. I believe I ran dcdiag and repadmin and everything was fine. I will update my findings.