Issue with RDS Session Host server and GPU / drivers

Copper Contributor

I've got a Windows Server 2022 Session host box that for some reason has issues with the GPU. We've tried reloading Windows and the likes with same results. It's a Dell R740 with an Nvidia RTX A4000 GPU. We've got GPOs to enabled it and with the P2000 and P4000 cards we have no issues on the other host. However this particular host shows 3 graphics drivers where our others only show 2.

This server shows Microsoft Basic Display Adapter, Microsoft Remote Display Adapter, and Nvidia RTX4000. The other RDS SH servers don't have the Microsoft Remote Display Adapter.

the issue is after 13 users sign on the system has issues with the dwm.exe crashing.

I'm guessing this has something to do with the extra driver. I've got a GPO to use the WDDM driver and not XDDM. What are your thoughts and suggestions?

thank you

2 Replies
I should also note that when I look at my display settings using dxdiag it shows I am using the Microsoft remote display adapter and it's using wddm 1.3. Do I need this display adapter for RDS? If so can it be upgraded to WDDM 2.0 or newer as it seems this is the issue?
Here is my thread over at spiceworks as it has some photos that might be helpful for someone.
https://community.spiceworks.com/topic/2484361-rds-session-host-boxes-with-nvidia-gpu-issues?page=1#...