SOLVED

DNS not auto Detected on client machines

Copper Contributor

Afternoon

Little help please

Network all seems to run fine, connects to internet, shared drives, etc.  But when a certain  piece of software requires an update (AVG) we have issues on any machine connected to the network.

If you enter our DNS info manually, it updates and works fine.  But i cant seem to get the DNS to be auto detected, it picks up Google and something else, which dont seem to work.  We can get around with machines that stay on site but not much use for visiting equipment or those that work in several places

I can ping either dns address that we need to use on our IP's 192.168.250.250 (server) or 192.168.250.1 (Router)

I'm assuming its something in the configuration of the DNS Server thats causing the issue as nothing connects to the correct one.

Any advise would be great, thought it was all working and i'll be the first to admit, its bit of a learning curve. Hoping its something simple i've missed

Many thanks

16 Replies

Pretty vague but assuming a domain environment then I'd check the domain controller and problem member both have the static ip address of DC listed for DNS and no others such as router or public DNS

@Dave Patrick 

Thanks Dave.. Apols for the vague, this ones a carry on from someone elses job!! And to be honest, not at all sure as to how to deal with, hence why i'm on here

Your correct, Domain Controller with the DNS.  I've now got the Server itself seeing the correct DNS (which it wasn't before), just not the clients now.  If i enter the IP manually, their fine. Leave it on Obtain auto and the NSLOOKUP comes back with DNS timed out and picks up google

Its bound to be a server config somewhere i assume

Any pointers, fire away.  Going round in circles at the mo!!

best response confirmed by Rodders (Copper Contributor)
Solution

Please run;

• Dcdiag /v /c /d /e /s:%computername% >c:\dcdiag.log
  • repadmin /showrepl >C:\repl.txt
  • ipconfig /all > C:\dc1.txt
  • ipconfig /all > C:\dc2.txt
  • (etc. as other DC's exist)
  • ipconfig /all > C:\problemworkstation.txt

then put unzipped text files up on OneDrive and share a link.

@Dave Patrick 

THanks again, i've just messaged you, as our onedrive requires email address with the person to share.

I could add the zip below, however concerned with possible data issue like this

Could you message me a different way

Thanks 

Yes, please do not zip the files. If sharing the files is an issue I'd suggest start a case here with product support. 

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/hub/4343728/support-for-business

@Dave Patrick 

Please find below, had to zip/compressed as this share doesnt except txt files

Thanks for you continued help

had to zip/compressed as this share doesnt except txt files

then put unzipped text files up on OneDrive and share a link.

(sorry but I draw the line in sand at executing unknown files from unknown sources)

@Dave Patrick 

Unable to as previously stated, our onedrive has it restricted.

Just setup a private account, see if this works

https://1drv.ms/f/s!Anka61fY8YAGfexrq_rq5RgTwlI

Thanks

Unable to as previously stated, our onedrive has it restricted.

Then setup a new one. If that isn't possible then I'd suggest start a case here with product support. 

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/hub/4343728/support-for-business

On TCP01 remove the router address from DNS then do ipconfig /flushdns, ipconfig /registerdns and restart the netlogon service. 

Asset101512 is using the router for DHCP which can be done but the DHCP server must hand out the static ip address of domain controller (192.168.250.250) for DNS and no others such as router or public DNS

I didn't look at other files since these ones are both show stoppers. If problems persist then put up a new set of files to look at.

(please don't forget to mark helpful replies)

@Dave Patrick

Thanks again for your continued help, very much appricated

I've removed the router IP from the server nic and run the commands along with restarting netlogon.  NSlookup on the server is instant now with the correct details

Not entirely sure on the 'router setup for dchp' bit.  Unfortuantly the clients still showing google. 

Got to love someone elses setup & job!!! Been a nightmare getting it to work as it does

I've attached an updated set of files

Thanks Again

https://1drv.ms/f/s!Anka61fY8YAGgQUsrrIElD_PyAao 

TCP01 still appears to have the router (192.168.250.1) listed for DNS

Asset101512 there's two choices. 1.) set the addressing static 2.) set the router to hand out 192.168.250.250 for DNS

@Dave Patrick 

Hi Dave

I had a thought overnight and checked the router (as suggested).  Now i'm confused.  I would say the DHCP is running off the router, rather than the server (or at least it looks like it possibly is).  Although there are records within the DNS on the server for devices.  I did add the server ip to the secondary dns, just to see if it was picked up but couldn't see anything, so removed again.

I'm getting so confused because if that was the case, why adding the server address to the DNS settings on a client, makes this particular software (AVG) to update.  Any other access to the network/internet is fine!!

So confused, what i dont want to do is is knock out a live system. Really above me this but must keep trying i guess

Thanks again for your continued support.  

HI Dave
Thanks for all your assistance. Idiot mode for me!!
On checking/trying the dns settings within the router, it requires a reboot.
Done some other jobs and guess what, all fine now.

Glad to hear, you're welcome.

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Rodders (Copper Contributor)
Solution

Please run;

• Dcdiag /v /c /d /e /s:%computername% >c:\dcdiag.log
  • repadmin /showrepl >C:\repl.txt
  • ipconfig /all > C:\dc1.txt
  • ipconfig /all > C:\dc2.txt
  • (etc. as other DC's exist)
  • ipconfig /all > C:\problemworkstation.txt

then put unzipped text files up on OneDrive and share a link.

View solution in original post