Windows Server Summit 2024
Mar 26 2024 08:00 AM - Mar 28 2024 04:30 PM (PDT)
Microsoft Tech Community
LIVE
SOLVED

DFS service exception

Copper Contributor
Hello, our server has encountered an abnormal DFS service, which currently leads to an abnormal synchronization of Active directory policies. and caused a series of failures.

Now run the command: gpupdate /force
Unable to update computer policy successfully, Windows tries to read a file from a domain controller, but fails

14 Replies

Not at all clear what problem you're trying to solve? If replication is broken then check the DFS Replication event log for error details. A non authoritative sync may be in order.

Force synchronization for Distributed File System Replication (DFSR) replicated sysvol replication -...

@wangkabin just checking if there's any progress or updates? please don't forget to mark helpful replies.

Please wait before 12:00AM(GMT+8)
My work time is 9:00AM to 6:00PM (GMT+8)

@Dave Patrick Hello, the actual situation is: when I execute the gpupdate /force command on the secondary domain controller, it prompts an error that the policy file in the sysvol directory cannot be obtained from the primary domain controller server. I compared the sysvol directory of the two hosts, and there are indeed some files missing. I tried to manually copy the missing part of sysvol in the form of accessing the share through the domain name. The policy can be updated normally for the time being, but the sysvol directory of the two hosts is still not synchronized after the modification.

I'd check the DFS Replication event log for error details. Sounds like a non authoritative sync may be in order.

Force synchronization for Distributed File System Replication (DFSR) replicated sysvol replication -...

@wangkabin any progress?

@wangkabin Please don't forget to close up the thread by marking helpful replies.

@Dave Patrick Hello, the customer is currently not out of time for troubleshooting, please wait.

@wangkabin Sounds good, please close up the thread here by marking helpful replies.

Hello, I have now checked, Event ID 4004 Error 9003 .
Can this fault be resolved only by deleting the DFSR Database in System Volume Information?
best response confirmed by wangkabin (Copper Contributor)
Solution
Can this fault be resolved only by deleting the DFSR Database in System Volume Information?

Absolutely not. The simplest solution may be to demote, reboot, promo the problematic one. Also how long has this been going on? If this exceeds the tombstone life then this one should be removed from network, seize roles (if necessary)

Transfer or seize FSMO roles - Windows Server | Microsoft Learn

then do clean up

Clean up AD DS server metadata | Microsoft Learn

and rebuild the failed one.

@wangkabin just checking if there's any progress or updates? please don't forget to mark helpful replies.

please don't forget to close up the thread by marking helpful replies.

By deleting the DFS database in System Volume Information in Driver C, and letting it rebuild automatically. Fixed this issue. Thanks a lot.
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by wangkabin (Copper Contributor)
Solution

Absolutely not. The simplest solution may be to demote, reboot, promo the problematic one. Also how long has this been going on? If this exceeds the tombstone life then this one should be removed from network, seize roles (if necessary)

Transfer or seize FSMO roles - Windows Server | Microsoft Learn

then do clean up

Clean up AD DS server metadata | Microsoft Learn

and rebuild the failed one.

View solution in original post