Connection Broker 2019 randomly not accepting connections

Copper Contributor

Hello everyone,

Seeing an ongoing issues with RDS connections where the connection broker will randomly not accept connections.

Setup is 4 servers all running up to date Windows Server 2019:

Connection broker - also running licensing role

Gateway - Running Web Access Gateway, Remote Gateway, and HTML5 client

2 Session hosts

RDP file being used is to use gateway always

Error occurs with both RDP Clients and HTML5 client

• Users will attempt to login and get a failure due to authentication message. 
  • User credentials are known good during test attempts. 
  • Other users will be able to log in during the same time frame (plus or minus 30 seconds). 
  • This user/computer combo will be able to login at a later time.
  • Log on gateway shows user as properly authenticated and authorized. 
  • The gateway log shows the connection being forwarded to the connection broker, and then being dropped. 
  • The broker log only shows a RPC-TCP connection attempt, but nothing else at the same second (this log entry does not show IP or MAC, so correlation is only by timestamp). 
  • Client then gets an authentication failure message. 
  • No other related entries in any log that I can find on the connection broker that correspond to the appropriate timestamp.

I have also looked at a network trace of the gateway-broker connection during the time in question and the only thing that looks odd is a RST from the connection broker at the dropped connection timestamp.

I have checked everything I can think of (licensing, certificates, network connections, DNS, AD status and availability, etc).  And even gone so far as to tear down the whole setup over the weekend and rebuild the connection broker and gateway servers from scratch.  The problem is still occurring.

The connection attempts can be on LAN or over WAN through gateway.  HTML5 client is affected. It doesn't track to a particular user or client as far as I can track.  Or to a particular time of day.

If anyone has any suggestions, I would love to hear them.

Thanks.

Tim Reid

0 Replies