Windows Server Summit 2024
Mar 26 2024 08:00 AM - Mar 28 2024 04:30 PM (PDT)
Microsoft Tech Community
LIVE

Cannot connect to Windows Server 2019 from my computer

Copper Contributor

Hi, 

We have a Windows 2016 AD deployed in our organization which I cannot ping or do a Remote Desktop into from my machine which is on the same local network as the server. Sometimes if I do a tracert and then it starts pinging and I am able to remote into it. Otherwise it just doesn't ping/connect at all.  I have another server to which I can remote and then through this server I can ping/RD to the AD fine. I have checked firewall settings/changed my IP/enabled network sharing etc. but nothing seems to work. Not sure what I am missing out. This problem just started all of a sudden sometime back, before it was working fine. 

5 Replies

I'd start by checking that the domain controller and problem member both have the static ip address of DC listed for DNS and no others such as router or public DNS

@Dave Patrick Tried,  The static IP of DC as the only DNS entry for both the server and the client computer. Didn't work. 

Please run;

Dcdiag /v /c /d /e /s:%computername% >C:\dcdiag.log
repadmin /showrepl >C:\repl.txt
ipconfig /all > C:\dc1.txt
ipconfig /all > C:\dc2.txt
ipconfig /all > C:\dc3.txt
ipconfig /all > C:\problemworkstation.txt

then put `unzipped` text files up on OneDrive and share a link.

Just checking if there's any progress or updates?

@ITpersonal2022 

Hello Zubair null,

I hope you are doing well!

The problem may occur because an earlier software installation on the server has left the computer in a pending state, and restarting the computer does not clear the state.

You should try restarting your server to fix the problem. If the restart option does not fix the issue, follow the steps below to resolve it.

Click on the Download button. Then, under the File Download dialog box, click Run and follow the steps in the easy fix wizard.

• Click on Start, click Run, type Regedit, and then press OK.
  • Then select the following registry subkey:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager

• After selecting the subkey specified in step 2, right-click PendingFileRenameOperations and click Delete.
  • Select the following registry subkey:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate\Auto Update

• After selecting the key specified in step 4, right-click RebootRequired and click Delete.
  • On the File menu, click Exit to close Registry Editor
  • Restart the computer.

Change your firewall settings:

• Firstly, Open the start menu and navigate to Control Panel -> System and Security ->, Windows Defender Firewall, -> Allowed apps.
  • Look for “Change Settings” on the right-hand top corner of the page and click on it.
  • Navigate to Remote Desktop and Check the private and public checkboxes

You must close the window and try connecting again. If the firewall was only the problem, you should be able to connect to the remote computer now.

I hope your problem may resolve with the above-given fixes.

---------------------

Regards,

Austin_M