SOLVED

After upgrading a 2012 r2 DC to 2019, can I use the 2012 r2 license on a new server?

Copper Contributor

I'm in the beginning stages of switching from Access to SQL.  I could be wrong, but it seems silly to have SQL running on Server 2019 that is below a 2012 r2 DC.  The DC does function as our only server at the moment.  So, if I upgrade the DC first, I'd like to then use that 2012 r2 license on a new machine.  If this is possible, how do I go about this? 

Thanks

9 Replies
best response confirmed by bjenensafp (Copper Contributor)
Solution

If it's a retail license then it should be possible. Another option is to install the hyper-v role (as only role) on new host, then stand up two virtual machines. One for active directory domain services and another for application / SQL server. Not recommended to install SQL or other roles / applications on a domain controller.

Any progress or updates?

(please don't forget to mark helpful replies)

@Dave Patrick  The image is from the server.  the License URL says Retail; so that makes me think it would work.

OEM:SLP: This key comes pre-installed in Windows, when it comes from the Factory. This key is geared to work with the OEM Bios Flag found only on that Manufacturer's computer hardware. So assuming you installed to the same hardware it should be fine.

Well that sounds like my original plan would not work then. Would it be bad for server 2 with SQL Server and Windows Server 2019 to be "below" a 2012 r2 DC?
Thanks for all that info. End of 2023 isn't that far off. It seems like the best solution might be to get a new server with WS 2019, make that one a DC, and move everything from 2012 R2 over to the new one. Do you by chance have a good doc for that off the top of your head?

The two prerequisites to introducing the first 2019 or 2022 domain controller are that domain functional level needs to be 2008 or higher and older sysvol FRS replication needs to have been migrated to DFSR
https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Storage-at-Microsoft/Streamlined-Migration-of-FRS-to-DFSR-SYS...

I'd use dcdiag / repadmin tools to verify health correcting all errors found before starting any operations. Then stand up the new 2019 or 2022, patch it fully, license it, join existing domain, add active directory domain services, promote it also making it a GC (recommended), transfer FSMO roles over (optional), transfer pdc emulator role (optional), use dcdiag / repadmin tools to again verify health, when all is good you can decommission / demote old one.

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by bjenensafp (Copper Contributor)
Solution

If it's a retail license then it should be possible. Another option is to install the hyper-v role (as only role) on new host, then stand up two virtual machines. One for active directory domain services and another for application / SQL server. Not recommended to install SQL or other roles / applications on a domain controller.

View solution in original post