ADFS and Windows Integrated Authentication

Brass Contributor

Hi all.

We have ADFS (Windows 2016) working fine for Forms Authentication.  We have enabled WIA for Intranet, set the browser user agent strings (testing with Firefox and Microsoft Chromium Edge).

We get the Sign in as current user link but when clicked the browser shows a prompt for the users credentials rather than using the logged in credentials.

We have set the url for our adfs implementation in Firefox config under network.automatic-ntlm-auth.trusted-uris.

We have also set it in AuthNegotiateDelegateAllowList and AuthServerAllowList for Chromium Edge.  We also set it as an Intranet Zone in Internet Options.

Is there something we are missing?

cheers

j

5 Replies
Thanks for the reply.

Yes we have added the user agent strings. This is what we have.

MSAuthHost/1.0/In-Domain
MSIE 6.0
MSIE 7.0
MSIE 8.0
MSIE 9.0
MSIE 10.0
Trident/7.0
MSIPC
Windows Rights Management Client
MS_WorkFoldersClient
=~Windows\s*NT.*Edge
Chrome
Mozilla/5.0

@whatwaht 

I am not that expert in ADFS but did try to add it to the Trusted zone.

Also, Check the ADFS log, usually, it contains a lot of great information

Eventlog \ Application and Services Logs \ AD FS\ Admin

I used to have a similar problem and was due to an integration issue with the code, but surely each case is different.

what does the log say

Thanks, there was nothing in the adfs log BUT there was in the Security log.

There is an audit failure with a status code 0xC000035B.

After some investigation I think the issue is down to our reverse proxy (apache) and NTLM/Kerberos authentication.

I've found numerous resources explaining how to overcome this, will do some more research.

thanks

Please try to add the ADFS site to the list of trusted sites in IE that should help