Active Directory Replication Status Tool crashing

Brass Contributor

Hi,

Some recent .Net update broke the app. It crashes right after the splash screen.

Application: repl.exe

Framework Version: v4.0.30319

Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.

Exception Info: Microsoft.Sirona.PackagingException

at Microsoft.Sirona.Packaging.PackageHelper.ValidatePackage(System.IO.Stream, System.String, Boolean, Boolean)

at Microsoft.Sirona.Packaging.PackageManager.LoadInternal(System.IO.Stream, Boolean, Boolean, System.String, System.String, Boolean)

at Microsoft.Sirona.Packaging.PackageManager.Load(System.String, Boolean, Boolean)

Exception Info: Microsoft.Sirona.PackagingException

at Microsoft.Sirona.Packaging.PackageManager.Load(System.String, Boolean, Boolean)

at repl.MainWindow.LoadConfiguration(Microsoft.Sirona.Configuration.ConfigurationManager)

at repl.MainWindow.SetupSironaComponents()

at repl.MainWindow..ctor()

And also this:

Faulting application name: repl.exe, version: 3.22.415.100, time stamp: 0x62593e89

Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 10.0.14393.5246, time stamp: 0x62bfb6da

Exception code: 0xe0434352

Fault offset: 0x0000000000034f08

Faulting process id: 0x1334

Faulting application start time: 0x01d8bed06bccb42b

Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Active Directory Replication Status Tool\repl.exe

Faulting module path: C:\Windows\System32\KERNELBASE.dll

Report Id: 93137f19-7446-4f5e-9382-696fe1e59e9e

Faulting package full name:

Faulting package-relative application ID:

More details about the problem on the comments:

Active Directory Replication Status Tool (ADREPLSTATUS) Resources Page - TechNet Articles - United S...

11 Replies
Hi David,

I tried to run the version you shared on my laptop, running Windows 10 21H2 (OS Build 19044.1889) but the AD Replication tool doesn't open.
.NET 4.8 is already installed.
Here is the error on Event Viewer:

"Faulting application name: repl.exe, version: 3.22.415.100, time stamp: 0x62593e89
Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 10.0.19041.1889, time stamp: 0xe9ede6d6
Exception code: 0xe0434352
Fault offset: 0x0000000000034fd9
Faulting process id: 0x5544
Faulting application start time: 0x01d8c7a8b7b29d31
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Active Directory Replication Status Tool\repl.exe
Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\System32\KERNELBASE.dll
Report Id: 515a1c10-10b4-42f4-a179-bb9e61c3724f
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID: "

Do you know anything about this?

Thank you.

Best Regards,

I have  version: 3.22.415.100 installed as well on Server 2016. It worked a couple of months ago when I installed it so yes something has broken it again. This page says to report issues here in the wiki I suppose in the comments.

Thank you, Dave.

Best Regards.

Luiz
Having the same issue and I have .NET 4.8, enabled TLS 1.2 on both Client/Server registry settings and still...just a splash screen and same event viewer information as the above posting from Vandrey. Here's another thread with more folks exclaiming the same issue:
https://community.spiceworks.com/topic/2462722-active-directory-replication-status-tool-broken
Crashing for us too. We have July 2022 version 3.22.415.100 installed on Windows 2012 R2, 2016, 2019, 2022 and 10 21H2. All have .NET 4.8 and the latest 2022-10 Microsoft Updates.

@mattmn160 

Suprised that MS hasn't updated the tool yet.  Have you tried the fix on editing the Microsoft.Sirona.dll listed in the Reddit URL I posted?

1. Still busted, December 2022
2. The wiki page for the tool is obviously not monitored, so I don't see any point commenting there.
3. I'm not a dev and I work in a regulated environment. I can't download random debug tools and start editing code. And who knows how Applocker will react.
4. If MSFT is detemined to make on-prem AD abandonware, why don't they edit whatever setting keeps forcing the tool to "expire" and just release it as-is with a minimum .NET version requirement.
5. I'm sure there will be BS about using Azure monitoring instead, and I can say that it is not reliable - it doesn't detect replication issues even WHILE they're happening. I think I got an alert once, hours after an issue was fixed. At least we can run this tool real time and get a nice, easy graphical view. (Yes, I know how to run repadmin, but for less skilled staff, and for an easy snapshot, the GUI is handy).
Hey TMChannel, go to this other post:
https://community.spiceworks.com/topic/2462722-active-directory-replication-status-tool-broken
You'll see a response from Kerry5988 with the updated/modified Microsoft.Sirona.txt (rename to *.dll) file available.
I prefer the quick GUI versus Repadmin any day.
Followed the post and fixed the Microsoft.Sirona.dll as described in there.
Works a treat now.
The fix is clearly a slightly crude bodge that just bypassed checking for the correct version and certificates / security checks that the defective dll is triggering.
**bleep** poor that Microsoft haven't fixed what they broke back in September themselves!

Maybe a challenge to ex MS developer and you tuber Dave Garage might yield a properly working fix faster than MS!