The latest version of SharePoint technology, Windows SharePoint Services Version 3, can provide enhanced features within your SBS network. However, because SharePoint version 3 differs markedly from version 2 (which is integrated into SBS 2003 SP1, and SBS 2003 R2) in a number ways, some of these differences may break the integration between Windows SBS and Windows SharePoint Services.
For this reason, the only supported method for installing Windows SharePoint Version 3 on SBS is in side-by-side mode. This leaves your existing SharePoint Version 2 Companyweb site intact, and creates a new SharePoint Version 3 site in addition to the existing one.
In order to successfully install in side-by-side mode you must select “
No, Do not upgrade at this time.”,
when installing Windows SharePoint Version 3 on your SBS server (Screenshot below). Doing so will cause several SBS administrative wizards to fail, and may lead to loss of data in your SharePoint sites. The only supported installation method when installing Windows SharePoint Version 3 on your SBS server is
No, do not upgrade at this time
, which results in a side-by-side installation.
How can I install Windows SharePoint Services Version 3 side-by-side with Windows SharePoint Services Version 2 on a server running Windows SBS 2003?
Use the following Process.
3. Configure Windows SharePoint Services Products and Technologies.
4. Create a new intranet site using Windows SharePoint Services Version 3.
5. Delete the Windows SharePoint Services Version 3 default Web Site.
6. Start the Windows SharePoint Services Version 2 Default web site and CompanyWeb web site.
After installing Windows SharePoint Service version 3 side-by-side with Windows SharePoint Services Version 2, Windows SBS administrative tools will continue to work properly with Windows SharePoint Version 2 but will not interact with SharePoint Version 3. Windows SBS repair scenarios, such as uninstalling and reinstalling Windows SharePoint Version 2 will work properly, and will not interact with the new SharePoint Version 3 site.
There are some known limitations in Windows SharePoint Version 3 running on SBS 2003 SP1 or R2.
· The Windows SharePoint Version 3 incoming email-enabled features don't work because of a conflict with Exchange.
· If you have moved your Windows SharePoint Version 2 databases from WMSDE to SQL Server 2000 or SQL Server 2005, you will find that Windows SharePoint Version 3 Search feature does not function after installation. There is a update forthcoming from the Windows SharePoint Version 3 team to address this problem.