SOLVED

Teams members bulk tagging with Powershell

Copper Contributor

I added multiple members in one team with PowerShell. Then I need to add "Tag" to each members, so I checked what cmdlet is able to be used for Teams (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powershell/module/teams/?view=teams-ps)

It seems that "Tagging" cannot be implemented thru PowerShell.

If you have any idea to implement tagging to multiple members in Teams, can you please kindly advise.

16 Replies
best response confirmed by TetsutaroKaneko (Copper Contributor)
Solution

There's no public API available for this yet, cannot be done outside of the Teams client.

@Vasil Michev 

Thanks your respond, so it could not be done with PowerShell, and Teams client not allow bulk update, so we have to do it one by one for hundreds members... wow....

@Vasil Michev Is there any work being done on this? We would like to be able to tag users in Bulk and tag more than 100 users. This is needed for educational purpose

@Jur_Tompot 

Unfortunately I never got update of new way to tag to multiple members....

@Jur_Tompot Would love to see an update to this feature.

We need expanded capacity for Tag Groups (over 100) and also need to be able to either automate, or at least use AD groups to bulk load in Tags like we do for Teams memberships.

@Vasil Michev Any idea if this feature has been added yet to PowerShell?  I just finished an event where I had to link about 90 Teams members with around 50 tags (most associated with multiple tags). This was extremely time consuming, and I am looking for ways to do this better in the future with automation. Thanks for any insight you may be able to share!

I absolutely agree! We have almost 500 members. Some with multiple tags. To do it one at a time in Teams is absolutely time consuming and not feasible. However the benefit of the tag is very key and admins need to be able to do this in bulk!

Hi @TodayDee72, PowerShell isn't supported yet, but there is a set of Graph APIs available in public preview: teamworkTag resource type - Microsoft Graph beta | Microsoft Docs

Thank you @Annie Colonna, I'd like to try it.
How might I install that Beta, please?
Were you able to? Where did you get the Beta from?

@ecovonrein No it does not work

Thanks. That is disappointing. @Annie Colonna - any suggestions where we went wrong?
Any chance now, it's been two years...
Any news on this? Such a tedious process.
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by TetsutaroKaneko (Copper Contributor)
Solution

There's no public API available for this yet, cannot be done outside of the Teams client.

View solution in original post