SOLVED

PowerShell UPDATE-HELP error

%3CLINGO-SUB%20id%3D%22lingo-sub-3080165%22%20slang%3D%22en-US%22%3EPowerShell%20UPDATE-HELP%20error%3C%2FLINGO-SUB%3E%3CLINGO-BODY%20id%3D%22lingo-body-3080165%22%20slang%3D%22en-US%22%3E%3CP%3EDear%20Community%2C%3C%2FP%3E%3CP%3EI%20am%20a%20complete%20beginner%20with%20MS%20PowerShell.%20While%20making%20my%20first%20steps%20with%20PowerShell%2C%20I%20tried%20to%20update%20Help%20System%20by%20means%20of%20running%20UPDATE-HELP%20cmdlet%20on%20my%20PowerShell%205.1%20-%20but%20I%20have%20gotten%20the%20following%20error%20message%3A%3C%2FP%3E%3CP%3E%26nbsp%3B%3C%2FP%3E%3CP%3Eupdate-help%20%3A%20Failed%20to%20update%20Help%20for%20the%20module(s)%20'PSReadline'%20with%20UI%20culture(s)%20%7Ben-US%7D%20%3A%20Unable%3CBR%20%2F%3Eto%20retrieve%20the%20HelpInfo%20XML%20file%20for%20UI%20culture%20en-US.%20Make%20sure%20the%20HelpInfoUri%20property%20in%20the%3CBR%20%2F%3Emodule%20manifest%20is%20valid%20or%20check%20your%20network%20connection%20and%20then%20try%20the%20command%20again.%3CBR%20%2F%3EAt%20line%3A1%20char%3A1%3CBR%20%2F%3E%2B%20update-help%3CBR%20%2F%3E%2B%20~~~~~~~~~~~%3CBR%20%2F%3E%2B%20CategoryInfo%20%3A%20ResourceUnavailable%3A%20(%3A)%20%5BUpdate-Help%5D%2C%20Exception%3CBR%20%2F%3E%2B%20FullyQualifiedErrorId%20%3A%20UnableToRetrieveHelpInfoXml%2CMicrosoft.PowerShell.Commands.UpdateHelpCommand%3C%2FP%3E%3CP%3E%26nbsp%3B%3C%2FP%3E%3CP%3EWould%20you%20be%20so%20kind%20to%20advise%20me%20with%20solving%20this%20issue%3F%3C%2FP%3E%3CP%3EMany%20thanks%20in%20advance!%3C%2FP%3E%3C%2FLINGO-BODY%3E%3CLINGO-LABS%20id%3D%22lingo-labs-3080165%22%20slang%3D%22en-US%22%3E%3CLINGO-LABEL%3EPowerShell%3C%2FLINGO-LABEL%3E%3C%2FLINGO-LABS%3E%3CLINGO-SUB%20id%3D%22lingo-sub-3080479%22%20slang%3D%22en-US%22%3ERe%3A%20PowerShell%20UPDATE-HELP%20error%3C%2FLINGO-SUB%3E%3CLINGO-BODY%20id%3D%22lingo-body-3080479%22%20slang%3D%22en-US%22%3E%3CA%20href%3D%22https%3A%2F%2Fdevblogs.microsoft.com%2Fpowershell%2Fupdating-help-for-the-psreadline-module-in-windows-powershell-5-1%2F%22%20target%3D%22_blank%22%20rel%3D%22noopener%20noreferrer%22%3Ehttps%3A%2F%2Fdevblogs.microsoft.com%2Fpowershell%2Fupdating-help-for-the-psreadline-module-in-windows-powershell-5-1%2F%3C%2FA%3E%3CBR%20%2F%3E%3CBR%20%2F%3E%22The%20root%20problem%20in%20Windows%20PowerShell%205.1%20is%20that%20the%20module%20is%20automatically%20loaded%20at%20startup%20using%20the%20PSReadline%20name%20(with%20the%20lowercase%20l).%20Use%20the%20following%20steps%20workaround%20this%20problem%20and%20update%20the%20help.%3CBR%20%2F%3E%3CBR%20%2F%3EClose%20all%20powershell.exe%20processes.%20Then%20rename%20the%20PSReadline%20module%20folder%20name%20to%20PSReadLine.%3CBR%20%2F%3EOpen%20an%20powershell.exe%20session%20in%20Administrator%20privilege.%3CBR%20%2F%3ERun%20Remove-Module%20PSReadLine%20to%20remove%20the%20auto-loaded%20PSReadLine%20module.%3CBR%20%2F%3ERun%20Import-Module%20PSReadLine%20(use%20PSReadLine%20with%20capital%20L).%3CBR%20%2F%3EThen%20run%20Update-Help%20-Module%20PSReadLine%20-Force%3CBR%20%2F%3EThese%20steps%20load%20the%20module%20in%20your%20session%20using%20the%20new%20name%2C%20which%20allows%20Update-Help%20to%20use%20the%20correct%20name%20to%20find%20the%20help%20content.%22%3C%2FLINGO-BODY%3E
New Contributor

Dear Community,

I am a complete beginner with MS PowerShell. While making my first steps with PowerShell, I tried to update Help System by means of running UPDATE-HELP cmdlet on my PowerShell 5.1 - but I have gotten the following error message:

 

update-help : Failed to update Help for the module(s) 'PSReadline' with UI culture(s) {en-US} : Unable
to retrieve the HelpInfo XML file for UI culture en-US. Make sure the HelpInfoUri property in the
module manifest is valid or check your network connection and then try the command again.
At line:1 char:1
+ update-help
+ ~~~~~~~~~~~
+ CategoryInfo : ResourceUnavailable: (:) [Update-Help], Exception
+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : UnableToRetrieveHelpInfoXml,Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.UpdateHelpCommand

 

Would you be so kind to advise me with solving this issue?

Many thanks in advance!

2 Replies
best response confirmed by kochetov_oleksii (New Contributor)
Solution
https://devblogs.microsoft.com/powershell/updating-help-for-the-psreadline-module-in-windows-powersh...

"The root problem in Windows PowerShell 5.1 is that the module is automatically loaded at startup using the PSReadline name (with the lowercase l). Use the following steps workaround this problem and update the help.

Close all powershell.exe processes. Then rename the PSReadline module folder name to PSReadLine.
Open an powershell.exe session in Administrator privilege.
Run Remove-Module PSReadLine to remove the auto-loaded PSReadLine module.
Run Import-Module PSReadLine (use PSReadLine with capital L).
Then run Update-Help -Module PSReadLine -Force
These steps load the module in your session using the new name, which allows Update-Help to use the correct name to find the help content."
Hello @#Harm_Veenstra
Thank you very much for your help. I've followed proposed solution and everything worked smoothly.
BR, Alex (Oleksii)