SOLVED

How to install the .exe installer with Powershell on remote machine in non-interactive mode

Copper Contributor

Hi All,

I need a help to install the one .exe installer on my remote machines which required be setup with Azure Devops activity. I want for exe but not for msi.

I tried below option but couldn't make it successful.

PowerShell Script: 

Invoke-Command -ComputerName $computer -ScriptBlock { Start-Process C:\Users\someexe.exe -ArgumentList /silent -Wait -NoNewWindow  }

Error: 

Start-Process : This command cannot be run due to the error: The requested operation requires elevation.
At line:16 char:1
+ Start-Process C:\Users\someexe.exe -ArgumentLi ...
+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
+ CategoryInfo : InvalidOperation: (:) [Start-Process], InvalidOperationException
+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : InvalidOperationException,Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.StartProcessCommand

@All please help me on this.

6 Replies

As the error message clearly suggests, you need to run this cmdlet elevated (as admin) on the remote machine.

@Vasil Michev  

I have tried that and it removed the error but my requirement is not achieved as it launch the installer in interactive mode.

Is there any option to run in non-inerecative mode.

You can use tools such as psexec for that.

best response confirmed by ashkumar1989 (Copper Contributor)
Solution
largely depends on the .EXE ; review documentation for any command line switches for quiet/non-interactive mode.

Thank You. I tried to go more detailed in exe and found the solution to do the non-interactive mode installation.

awesome. good to know it worked for you.
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by ashkumar1989 (Copper Contributor)
Solution
largely depends on the .EXE ; review documentation for any command line switches for quiet/non-interactive mode.

View solution in original post