SOLVED

Get-UnifiedGroupLinks is not recognized as a cmdlet

Brass Contributor

I built a script a few months ago that connects to Exchange Online (connect-exchangeonline) then looks up an O365 Group (Get-UnifiedGroupLinks).  This script ran without modifications several times since creation.  As of the past week or so, I get this when I run Get-UnifiedGroupLinks:

Get-UnifiedGroupLinks : The term 'Get-UnifiedGroupLinks' is not recognized as the name of a cmdlet, function, script
file, or operable program. Check the spelling of the name, or if a path was included, verify that the path is correct
and try again.
At line:1 char:1
+ Get-UnifiedGroupLinks
+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    + CategoryInfo          : ObjectNotFound: (Get-UnifiedGroupLinks:String) [], CommandNotFoundException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : CommandNotFoundException

I no longer see Get-UnifiedGroupLinks as a cmdlet in the ExchangeOnlineManagement module even though MS' documentation states it should be there (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powershell/module/exchange/get-unifiedgrouplinks?view=exchange-ps).  I even ran update-module exchangeonlinemanagement to make sure.  Has anybody else run in to this issue?

1 Reply
best response confirmed by thekurteichler (Brass Contributor)
Solution

The cmdlet is not directly part of the module, it's one of the many cmdlets downloaded once a remote PowerShell session is created. I can assure you that it's still available when connecting to Exchange Online, and would suggest that you check your session validity and/or permissions. At the very least, you need to have the "View-Only Recipients" role assigned in order to run it.

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by thekurteichler (Brass Contributor)
Solution

The cmdlet is not directly part of the module, it's one of the many cmdlets downloaded once a remote PowerShell session is created. I can assure you that it's still available when connecting to Exchange Online, and would suggest that you check your session validity and/or permissions. At the very least, you need to have the "View-Only Recipients" role assigned in order to run it.

View solution in original post