default app script

Copper Contributor

I am wanting to automate the association of one file type with its default app, using a Windows-10 PowerShell script.  I can do it in Settings manually without difficulty, and my .au3 scripts run fine:

wrkmpls_0-1605796357125.png

The path to the .exe is:  C:\Users\{Username}\AppData\Local\Temp\sayit_shortcuts\SayItAutoIt.exe

However, if I run PS cmdlets to accomplish this, they don't give error messages but they also do not change the association.  To test this, I first manually changed the above association in Settings to "Notepad"

To troubleshoot, I tried the native commands in CMD:

-----------------------------------------

ASSOCIATE THE EXTENSION WITH THE FILE TYPE:

C:\Users\wk>assoc au3=AutoIt3Script
au3=AutoIt3Script

CONFIRM:

C:\Users\wk>assoc .au3
.au3=AutoIt3Script

ASSOCIATE THE FILE TYPE WITH THE APPLICATION:

C:\Users\wk>ftype AutoIt3Script="C:\Users\wk\AppData\Local\Temp\sayit_shortcuts\SayItAutoIt.exe" "%1"
AutoIt3Script="C:\Users\wk\AppData\Local\Temp\sayit_shortcuts\SayItAutoIt.exe" "%1"

CONFIRM:

C:\Users\wk>ftype AutoIt3Script
AutoIt3Script="C:\Users\wk\AppData\Local\Temp\sayit_shortcuts\SayItAutoIt.exe" "%1"

-----------------------------------------

HOWEVER, my scripts do not run...instead they just open in Notepad because Settings has not changed:

wrkmpls_1-1605797173388.png

When run in PS with these cmdlets, the same results are obtained (the association in Settings does not change from Notepad)

cmd /c assoc .au3=AutoItV3Script

cmd /c ftype AutoItV3Script="C:\Users\wk\AppData\Local\Temp\sayit_shortcuts\SayItAutoIt.exe" "%1"

Thank you for any suggestions.

1 Reply

@wrkmpls 

Can you share your code, 

I tried the code you wrote down and it works as expected.

are you running these commands from Powershell.

C:\windows\system32\cmd.exe /c assoc .....