SOLVED

ADCS expiring certificates email alerting script

Copper Contributor

Hi 

Can someone please help me with a script that sends out email alerts when a security certificate is about to expire in ADCS ? I found a couple on googling but none seems to work properly. There are some errors in that which I am unable to resolve. Any leads would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

19 Replies
Do you have an example script which gives you errors as a start? Perhaps we can fix those issues and you can start using it?
Hi @Harm_Veenstra, Thanks for a fast response. So, I found a nice script over here - https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/core-infrastructure-and-security/script-to-send-email-alerts-...

On executing it, I am getting a simple error only and on 2 lines for some "Positional Parameter". Pasting that error below:

PS C:\Scripts> C:\Scripts\Certificate Expiry Notification Script.ps1
Write-Host : A positional parameter cannot be found that accepts argument '8'.
At C:\Scripts\Certificate Expiry Notification Script.ps1:129 char:13
+ write-host -object 'Certificate ID:' $importall[$i].'Requ ...
+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
+ CategoryInfo : InvalidArgument: (:) [Write-Host], ParameterBindingException
+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : PositionalParameterNotFound,Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.WriteHostCommand

Write-Host : A positional parameter cannot be found that accepts argument ' Days!'.
At C:\Scripts\Certificate Expiry Notification Script.ps1:129 char:161
+ ... -NoNewline; write-host -object ([datetime]($importall[$i].'Certificat ...
+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : PositionalParameterNotFound,Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.WriteHostCommand

This certificate has DN:
Please don`t forget to renew this certificate before expiration date: Write-Host : A positional parameter cannot be found that accepts argument '
'.
At C:\Scripts\Certificate Expiry Notification Script.ps1:131 char:117
+ ... -NoNewline; write-host -object $importall[$i].'Certificate Expiration ...

Write-Host : A positional parameter cannot be found that accepts argument '9'.

Write-Host : A positional parameter cannot be found that accepts argument ' Days!'.

This certificate has DN:
Please don`t forget to renew this certificate before expiration date: Write-Host : A positional parameter cannot be found that accepts argument '
'.

Write-Host : A positional parameter cannot be found that accepts argument '10'.

This certificate has DN:
'.

Many thanks in advance!
Ok, you also reported your issue on the download page of the script so that's better I guess... You did fill in all the variables/settings and have the prerequisites in-place?
Hi, yes I did all the pre-requisites and everything. Since I am not very much good with PS but seems the issue is not very big and some kinda small change is required only. If you can see or help here would be grateful.
And yes, I reported there but there are quite a lot of queries waiting already, so posted it here for a better and fast response. :)
"Write-Host : A positional parameter cannot be found that accepts argument '8'." Do you get this when running the script without parameters? Is the script somehow not formatted correctly? Could you post your edited script?

@Harm_Veenstra Hi, as you said here that script might not be formatted correctly, reading which I performed below mentioned steps:

• This time I copied the script from the blog rather downloading the attachment from it like I did earlier (assuming there could be some formatting difference:smile:)
  • I executed it on my ADCS server adding all the required details. Also, this time in the template name filter, I added the actual template name and not its display name (also suggested by the author of the script in the comments there). On running, script executed successfully but nothing happened - no output, no email message, no error either
  • Then I thought of executing it using a scheduled task (as scheduler only will run it daily) using "SYSTEM" named service account with "higher privileges". Ran the task manually first time, but the task is just running and nothing's happening again :\

Please suggest what else can be done here as now the errors are gone too ? I am also attaching the raw script here (without any parameters/settings) to show formatting like the way I am now using on my server. ~ Thanks!

Does $table contain anything after running the script in ISe on the ADCS server?

@rtushar1400 

Hi

I wrote a PowerShell Script to do the same, 

give it a try maybe it will help you

https://www.powershellcenter.com/2021/12/23/sslexpirationcheck/

This script will report all the certificate status in a text file domain list

@farismalaeb What @rtushar1400 wants is to scan his own CA for certificates that were provisioned from that to check expiration on them. You can use your method of course and enter all the fqdn's to be checked, but the script that @rtushar1400 wants to use is scanning the whole CA for all certificates and do reporting on that. It's more dynamic like that, otherwise he has to be informed by every sysadmin if they enroll a certifcate on the CA.

@farismalaeb Hi, thanks for taking your time to share a nice script but as @Harm_Veenstra said I wanna scan my whole CA to check expiration of the certificates and there are many certificates on it. We are here currently looking at a script that is not working or giving any results. Please feel free if you have any other suggestions, would really appreciate that.

@Harm_Veenstra, coming to your question, I don't think there's any value getting stored in $table. There indeed gets a CSV file created on running the script containing the info of all the existing certificates on CA but it does not seems to be loading $table with the relevant certificates from the certificate templates I've been using which are getting expired in less than 30 days as per the condition. Is there a way for you to test the script on your end in your environment ?
best response confirmed by rtushar1400 (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@rtushar1400 Ok... Changed the script a little bit:

- Removed the write-host lines with the certificates found that would expire, date-time issue in formatting

- Changed the amount of days to 365 for testing

- Changed "$Certexpirydate = [datetime](Get-date $importall[$i].'Certificate Expiration Date' -Format $formatdata)" to "$Certexpirydate = [datetime](Get-date $importall[$i].'Certificate Expiration Date')" . Tried different formats for $formatdata but errors.

- $Mailbody gave me this HTML output, don't have a mailserver on my test VM but it gave me the output that I wanted so I guess you just need to test mailing now

Harm_Veenstra_0-1647897575861.png

The adjusted script, just change the mail and template variables and a correct amount of days (365 now) and test :) 

#functions

Function Send-CertificateList

{

#initialize email pre-reqs

$FromAddress = 'Email address removed'

$ToAddress  = 'Email address removed'

$MessageSubject = "Certificate expiration reminder from $env:COMPUTERNAME.$env:USERDNSDOMAIN"

$SendingServer = 'smtp.office365.com'

$SmtpServerPort = "Port Number"

#Test if SMTP server is responding

if(Test-Connection -Cn $SendingServer -BufferSize 16 -Count 1 -ea 0 -quiet){

#Send email

Send-MailMessage -From $FromAddress -To $ToAddress -Subject $MessageSubject -Body $mailbody -BodyAsHtml -SmtpServer $SendingServer -Port $SmtpServerPort

}else{

#Error Handling

write-host -object 'No connection to SMTP server. Failed to send email!'

}

}

Function Send-Certificatemail

{

$CCAddress  = 'Email address removed'

$MessageSubject = "Certificate expiration reminder from $env:COMPUTERNAME.$env:USERDNSDOMAIN"

#Send email

Send-MailMessage -From $FromAddress -To $ToAddress -Cc $CCAddress -Subject $MessageSubject -Body $Emailbody -BodyAsHtml -SmtpServer $SendingServer -Port $SmtpServerPort

}else{

#Error Handling

}

}

# --------------------------------------------------

#HTML Style

$style = @'

<style>body{font-family:`"Calibri`",`"sans-serif`"; font-size: 14px;}

@font-face

{font-family:`"Cambria Math`";

panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4;}

@font-face

{font-family:Calibri;

panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;}

@font-face

{font-family:Tahoma;

panose-1:2 11 6 4 3 5 4 4 2 4;}

table{border: 1px solid black; border-collapse:collapse; mso-table-lspace:0pt; mso-table-rspace:0pt;}

th{border: 1px solid black; background: #dddddd; padding: 5px; }

td{border: 1px solid black; padding: 5px; }

.crtsn{font-weight: bold; color: blue; }

.crtexp{font-weight: bold; color: red; }

.crtcn{font-weight: bold; color: orange; }

</style>

'@

#variables

#filter template list

$filterlist ="Copy of User","DomainController"

#setup duration

$duration = 365

#setup strDate with yyyyMMdd-HHmmss

$strDate = get-date -format yyyyMMdd-HHmmss

#create unique export file name

$exportFileName = "certificates_" + $strDate + ".csv"

#date of Now

$now = (Get-Date)

#date of Then

$Then = (Get-Date).AddDays($duration)

#empty mailbody

$mailbody = ""

#empty array initialization

$table = @()

#variables

#export certificates to CSV

certutil.exe -view csv > $exportFileName

#Import certificate info where Serial Number is not "empty" with various properties

$importall = Import-Csv $exportFileName | Where-Object {$_.'Serial Number' -notcontains 'EMPTY'} | Select-Object -Property 'Request ID','Serial Number','Requester Name','Certificate Expiration Date','Certificate Template','Request Common Name','Request Disposition' -ErrorAction SilentlyContinue

#Run through each ObjectID  to get the Certificate Template Name

foreach ($OID in (get-catemplate).Oid)

{

#populate the field "Certificate Template"

$importall | where-object "certificate template" -match $OID | foreach-object {

#ensure whitespaces removed

$_.'Certificate Template' = ($_.'Certificate Template').replace($OID+" ","")

}

}

#filter only required certificates based on $filterlist

$importall = $importall | where-object "certificate template" -in $filterlist

#build email body

$mailbody += '<html><head><meta http-equiv=Content-Type content="text/html; charset=utf-8">' + $style + '</head><body>'

$mailbody += "The certificate expiry details:<br />"

#collect cultureinfo for short date and time pattern

$cultureinfo = Get-Culture

$formatdata = "$($cultureinfo.DateTimeFormat.ShortDatePattern) $($cultureinfo.DateTimeFormat.ShortTimePattern)"

#mail body template

$mailbody += '<p>'

$mailbody += 'Hello Reader, '+"<br />"

$mailbody += 'Please find below the list of certificaes Expiring in next ' + $duration + ' days' + "</span><br />"

$mailbody += '</p>'

#cycle through array and search for matching cetificates

for($i=0;$i -lt $importall.Count;$i++)

{

#for each object, get the "certificate expirate date" and convert to [datetime]

$Certexpirydate = [datetime](Get-date $importall[$i].'Certificate Expiration Date')

#perform comparison

If(($Certexpirydate -gt $now) -and ($Certexpirydate -le $then))

{

#save info in table array

$table += $importall[$i] | Sort-Object 'Certificate Expiration Date' | Select-Object -Property 'Request ID','Serial Number','Requester Name','Certificate Template','Certificate Expiration Date','Request Common Name','Issued Email Address'

}

}

#mailbody html formatting

$mailbody += '<p><table>'

$mailbody += '<th>Request ID</th><th>Serial Number</th><th>Requester Name</th><th>Requested CN</th><th>Certificate Template</th><th>Expiration date</th>'

#run through each row

foreach($row in $table)

{

#create necessary row information

$mailbody += "<tr><td>" + $row.'Request ID' + "</td><td>" + $row.'Serial Number' + "</td><td>" + $row.'Requester Name' + "</td><td>" + $row.'Request Common Name' + "</td><td>" + $row.'Certificate Template' + "</td><td>" + $row.'Certificate Expiration Date' + "</td></tr>"

}

#closing html tags

$mailbody += '</table></p>'

$mailbody += '</body>'

$mailbody += '</html>'

#if there are matching certificates found send email

if($table.Count -gt '0')

{

#send email

Send-CertificateList

}

#run through each row

foreach($row in $table)

{

#if email address exist

if($($row.'Issued Email Address') -like "*@*")

{

#populate to address and email body

$ToAddress  = $row.'Issued Email Address'

$emailbody =  "Hello Reader,<br>

<br>

The certificate requested by you is about to expire :

<br>

Details <br>

-------------------- <br>

$row

<Br>

<br>

Thanks"

#send mail

Send-Certificatemail

}

}

@Harm_Veenstra firstly, thank you very much for helping out so quickly but unfortunately, I am still getting nothing in my results. :\

Getting no error either again. I guess it could be something with the email sending part ? Few days back I also tested some other script I got from the internet - https://support.cortado.com/en/support/solutions/articles/43000552447-how-to-get-email-notifications...

It ran successfully and also received an email from it but it wasn't showing any data with proper names and attributes in the email. That's why I chose the idea to go with the original first script as its much organized and dynamic. What I was thinking, can we use the other script's email sending part as maybe it have some attributes different that are working in my environment ? :p

Please can you help solve this matter.

# ======================
# Sending Email Section
# ======================

$strFrom = "<Sender>"
$strTo = "<Empfänger>"
$strSubject = "Cortado Certification Alert"
$strSMTPServer = "<Mail Server Addresse"

$objEmailMessage = New-Object system.net.mail.mailmessage
$objEmailMessage.From = ($strFrom)
$objEmailMessage.To.Add($strTo)
$objEmailMessage.Subject = $strSubject
$objEmailMessage.IsBodyHTML = $true

$objEmailMessage.Body = $mailbody

$objSMTP = New-Object Net.Mail.SmtpClient($strSMTPServer)
$objSMTP.Send($objEmailMessage)

Ok, but after you run the script in VSCode or Powershell_ISE.. If you run $table or $mailbody, does it return something or not? If it doesn't, do you have the correct Template names specified and are the certificates in the range of the days you specified in the variables part?
I tried by adding Template names as its display names only in the script and it finally added the values in $table. :D
The email part is also working now, had to allow the CA server on the SMTP server to send out emails. So, all good now scheduled this with a task.

Thank you very much once again, that was extremely helpful of you!! Cheers!
No problem, glad to help!

@Harm_Veenstra 

do you know y it ask this info  thanks

long_lanh_0-1657732312618.png

Not sure, there's only one line in the script with this cmdlet and it's "foreach ($OID in (get-catemplate).Oid)". Looks like it can't find the CA ? You're on a machine that is connected / can reach the CA?
Can someone please help with adding smtp credentials to the script? I've looked all over the Internet and none of the scripts have SMTP credentials lines.
Would be super great if it supported password hashing. Storing a clear text password isn't ideal. Thanks to the community in advance!
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by rtushar1400 (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@rtushar1400 Ok... Changed the script a little bit:

- Removed the write-host lines with the certificates found that would expire, date-time issue in formatting

- Changed the amount of days to 365 for testing

- Changed "$Certexpirydate = [datetime](Get-date $importall[$i].'Certificate Expiration Date' -Format $formatdata)" to "$Certexpirydate = [datetime](Get-date $importall[$i].'Certificate Expiration Date')" . Tried different formats for $formatdata but errors.

- $Mailbody gave me this HTML output, don't have a mailserver on my test VM but it gave me the output that I wanted so I guess you just need to test mailing now

Harm_Veenstra_0-1647897575861.png

The adjusted script, just change the mail and template variables and a correct amount of days (365 now) and test :) 

#functions

Function Send-CertificateList

{

$ToAddress  = 'Email address removed'

#Send email

Send-MailMessage -From $FromAddress -To $ToAddress -Subject $MessageSubject -Body $mailbody -BodyAsHtml -SmtpServer $SendingServer -Port $SmtpServerPort

}else{

#Error Handling

}

}

Function Send-Certificatemail

{

$CCAddress  = 'Email address removed'

#Send email

Send-MailMessage -From $FromAddress -To $ToAddress -Cc $CCAddress -Subject $MessageSubject -Body $Emailbody -BodyAsHtml -SmtpServer $SendingServer -Port $SmtpServerPort

}else{

#Error Handling

}

}

#HTML Style

$style = @'

<style>body{font-family:`"Calibri`",`"sans-serif`"; font-size: 14px;}

@font-face

{font-family:`"Cambria Math`";

panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4;}

@font-face

{font-family:Calibri;

panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;}

@font-face

{font-family:Tahoma;

panose-1:2 11 6 4 3 5 4 4 2 4;}

table{border: 1px solid black; border-collapse:collapse; mso-table-lspace:0pt; mso-table-rspace:0pt;}

th{border: 1px solid black; background: #dddddd; padding: 5px; }

td{border: 1px solid black; padding: 5px; }

.crtsn{font-weight: bold; color: blue; }

.crtexp{font-weight: bold; color: red; }

.crtcn{font-weight: bold; color: orange; }

</style>

'@

#variables

#filter template list

$filterlist ="Copy of User","DomainController"

#setup duration

$duration = 365

#setup strDate with yyyyMMdd-HHmmss

$strDate = get-date -format yyyyMMdd-HHmmss

#create unique export file name

$exportFileName = "certificates_" + $strDate + ".csv"

#date of Now

$now = (Get-Date)

#date of Then

$Then = (Get-Date).AddDays($duration)

#empty mailbody

$mailbody = ""

#empty array initialization

$table = @()

#variables

#export certificates to CSV

certutil.exe -view csv > $exportFileName

#Import certificate info where Serial Number is not "empty" with various properties

$importall = Import-Csv $exportFileName | Where-Object {$_.'Serial Number' -notcontains 'EMPTY'} | Select-Object -Property 'Request ID','Serial Number','Requester Name','Certificate Expiration Date','Certificate Template','Request Common Name','Request Disposition' -ErrorAction SilentlyContinue

#Run through each ObjectID  to get the Certificate Template Name

foreach ($OID in (get-catemplate).Oid)

{

#populate the field "Certificate Template"

$importall | where-object "certificate template" -match $OID | foreach-object {

#ensure whitespaces removed

$_.'Certificate Template' = ($_.'Certificate Template').replace($OID+" ","")

}

}

#filter only required certificates based on $filterlist

$importall = $importall | where-object "certificate template" -in $filterlist

#build email body

$mailbody += '<html><head><meta http-equiv=Content-Type content="text/html; charset=utf-8">' + $style + '</head><body>'

$mailbody += "The certificate expiry details:<br />"

#collect cultureinfo for short date and time pattern

$cultureinfo = Get-Culture

$formatdata = "$($cultureinfo.DateTimeFormat.ShortDatePattern) $($cultureinfo.DateTimeFormat.ShortTimePattern)"

#mail body template

$mailbody += '<p>'

$mailbody += 'Hello Reader, '+"<br />"

$mailbody += 'Please find below the list of certificaes Expiring in next ' + $duration + ' days' + "</span><br />"

$mailbody += '</p>'

#cycle through array and search for matching cetificates

for($i=0;$i -lt $importall.Count;$i++)

{

#for each object, get the "certificate expirate date" and convert to [datetime]

$Certexpirydate = [datetime](Get-date $importall[$i].'Certificate Expiration Date')

#perform comparison

If(($Certexpirydate -gt $now) -and ($Certexpirydate -le $then))

{

#save info in table array

$table += $importall[$i] | Sort-Object 'Certificate Expiration Date' | Select-Object -Property 'Request ID','Serial Number','Requester Name','Certificate Template','Certificate Expiration Date','Request Common Name','Issued Email Address'

}

}

#mailbody html formatting

$mailbody += '<p><table>'

$mailbody += '<th>Request ID</th><th>Serial Number</th><th>Requester Name</th><th>Requested CN</th><th>Certificate Template</th><th>Expiration date</th>'

#run through each row

foreach($row in $table)

{

#create necessary row information

$mailbody += "<tr><td>" + $row.'Request ID' + "</td><td>" + $row.'Serial Number' + "</td><td>" + $row.'Requester Name' + "</td><td>" + $row.'Request Common Name' + "</td><td>" + $row.'Certificate Template' + "</td><td>" + $row.'Certificate Expiration Date' + "</td></tr>"

}

#closing html tags

$mailbody += '</table></p>'

$mailbody += '</body>'

$mailbody += '</html>'

#if there are matching certificates found send email

if($table.Count -gt '0')

{

#send email

Send-CertificateList

}

#run through each row

foreach($row in $table)

{

#if email address exist

if($($row.'Issued Email Address') -like "*@*")

{

#populate to address and email body

$ToAddress  = $row.'Issued Email Address'

$emailbody =  "Hello Reader,<br>

<br>

The certificate requested by you is about to expire :

<br>

Details <br>

-------------------- <br>

$row

<Br>

<br>

Thanks"

#send mail

Send-Certificatemail

}

}

View solution in original post