Windows Server Summit 2024
Mar 26 2024 08:00 AM - Mar 28 2024 04:30 PM (PDT)
Microsoft Tech Community
LIVE
SOLVED

The client cannot connect to the destination specified in the request.

Copper Contributor

Hey guys,

I have several Windows Server from 2012 R2 to 2019 trying to get added into my feshly installed WAC on a dedicated 2019 machine.

All of them can't get added easaly and come up with:

1. adding a machine:

Chrome browser on Server 2016 (file server) within Admin context:

Credentials needed

Access was denied to 'Server'. You can still add it to your connections list, but you will need to provide administrator credentials to connect to the server.

use another account results in:

You can add this server to your list of connections, but we can't confirm it's available.

2. connecting ends in:

Connecting to remote server woot.local failed with the following error message : The client cannot connect to the destination specified in the request. Verify that the service on the destination is running and is accepting requests. Consult the logs and documentation for the WS-Management service running on the destination, most commonly IIS or WinRM. If the destination is the WinRM service, run the following command on the destination to analyze and configure the WinRM service: "winrm quickconfig". For more information, see the about_Remote_Troubleshooting Help topic.

All machine are running with server manager and whatsnot for years now including ps remote.
I can manage them, enter-pssession into them, winrm quickconfig all day long but WAC can't do anything.

I'm using  WindowsAdminCenter1910.2.msi and tried it with a Server 2019 first and an older 2016 fileserver as well, going through the official https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/manage/windows-admin-center/deploy/prepare-environme... doc.

I'm not sure what I'm dealing with.
My accounts are nested within the admin group and I can manage the machines for years now.
From the look of it nothing indicates that i have a permission prble.

I'm running out of ideas. :(

Any hints appreciated.

4 Replies
best response confirmed by Bogdan2105 (Copper Contributor)
Solution

I reinstalled WAC without WinRM over HTTPS only.
To many flaws and things needed to get it work so i left the default.

@Bogdan2105   THANK YOU!!  I have been fighting with that off and on for months.  

Hello, i am installing on windows 11 home only using default settings port 6516 no WinRM over HTTPS . but i am getting the following error: windows admin center installation on windows 11:
unhandled exception : system. Management . Automation . cmdletproviderinvocationexception the client cannot connect to the destination specified in the request. verify that the service on the destination i running and is accepting requests
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Bogdan2105 (Copper Contributor)
Solution

I reinstalled WAC without WinRM over HTTPS only.
To many flaws and things needed to get it work so i left the default.

View solution in original post