Enabling Hyper-V Services in Win10 IOT Enterprise

Copper Contributor

Hi All,

We are using Win10 IOT Enterprise for our project development and trying to enable Hyper-V services under Hyper-V platform in Windows optional features section. But we are not able to enable this feature and because of this, Windows commands related to NAT feature are not working.

We tried to enable the above feature in Win10 Enterprise edition and able to enable the same.

We would like to know the procedure to enable the Hyper-V platform in Win10 IOT Enterprise.

4 Replies

@Thanga8224  -  Windows IoT Enterprise and Windows Enterprise should behave the same in this feature area. 

What is the version of Windows Enterprise that worked ?

What is the version of Windows IoT Enterprise you are using ?

What are the command related to NAT feature that's working on Enterprise but not working on IoT Enterprise ?   Are you using the same hardware, what is the hardware ?

@Jimmy_Chen 

Thanks for your response.

Please find below details for your queries.

What is the version of Windows Enterprise that worked ?

[Thanga8224]: I am using the evaluation version of Windows 10 Enterprise downloaded from Microsoft website. Details: Windows 10 Enterprise Evaluation, Build 19041.vb_release.191206-1406

What is the version of Windows IoT Enterprise you are using ?

[Thanga8224]: Windows 10 Enterprise LTSC Evaluation, Build 17763.rs5_release.180914-1434

What are the command related to NAT feature that's working on Enterprise but not working on IoT Enterprise ?   Tried Get-NetNat, Remove-NetNat and they are working without showing any error in Win10 Enterprise. But when we run these commands in Win10 IOT, we are getting "Invalid Class" error.

Also we have enabled Hyper-V features through Windows features on or off option and after that executed Get-WindowsOptionalFeature commands. We observed that in Windows 10 Enterprise 8 feature names are shown and in Win10 IOT only 5 features are shown and in Win10 IOT not able to enable Hyper-V services. Attached images for your reference.

Are you using the same hardware, what is the hardware ?

[Thanga8224]: Yes, I am using the same hardware. Hardware details are: Intel i3 Processor, 4GB RAM

Also we would like to know the NAT feature in Windows 10 or Windows 10 IOT is meant only for VM or it can be implemented for PC / device having 2 ethernet NIC cards.

Please let us know if you need any further details.

@Thanga8224  - clarification question on the hardware please: have you tried installing the two versions of Windows 10 on the same physical device?

Different device models with same Intel CPU can still have different BIOS features supported. Even two separate identical devices could have different BIOS configurations. By installing the two OS versions on the same exact device you can rule out BIOS configuration.

Robert.

@robsol 

Hi,

Good day.

Regarding your query on hardware device, yes I have installed Win10 Enterprise and Win10 IOT Enterprise on the same PC.

First I installed Win10 IOT and carried out testing. We faced issue and thought whether the same issue in Win10 Enterprise. Hence installed Win10 Enterprise in the same PC  and observed in Win10 Enterprise the commands are working.