I know this isn’t VMM specific but I thought it was something you’d appreciate hearing about nonetheless. The Solution Accelerator team is pleased to announce the immediate availability of the Microsoft Assessment and Planning Toolkit 5.0 Community Technical Preview (CTP). Designed to simplify and streamline the IT infrastructure planning process across multiple scenarios through network-wide automated discovery and assessments, this tool provides a quick and complete inventory of the current IT environment of any organization, hardware and device compatibility assessment, and actionable reporting of recommended hardware upgrades for migration.
The MAP Toolkit 5.0 CTP includes these new features:
· Heterogeneous Server Environment Inventory for Technologies including Windows Server, Linux, UNIX and VMware.
· Ability to determine usage of deployed
System Center Configuration Manager
, a member of the Core Client Access License Suite.
· Readiness assessment for migration or upgrade to Microsoft Office 2010.
Over 800,000 Microsoft customers and partners including Costco Wholesale Corporation, Continental Airlines, and Pella Corporation have already downloaded and used this toolkit to help plan for their server and PC deployments.
Additional MAP Toolkit Features include:
• Windows 7 Hardware and Device Compatibility Assessment.
• Windows Server 2008 R2 Hardware and Device Compatibility Assessment.
• Virtualization Candidates Assessment for Hyper-V Server Consolidation.
• Inventory of VMware Server Hosts and Guests.
• Enhanced Usability and Improved Inventory Performance.
• SQL Server Instance Discovery.
• Desktop Security Assessment for Anti-virus and Anti-malware Programs Installation.
• Forefront Client Security/NAP Readiness Assessment.
To give you a quick sample, here are a couple MAP 5.0 Inventory and Assessment Wizard screenshots:
Here’s what the System Center Configuration Manager Server Report looks like: