Verteran in SQL Server but new to Azure

Copper Contributor

I've been working as a developer within SQL Server for over 15 years now (DWH and transactional) and think it's time I added SQL Azure to my toolbelt. I've created an account, server and database etc in Azure. Which tools are commonly used in organisations for doing the actual development? I've got Azure Data Studio installed which seems fairly straightforward if you're used to SSMS. Would Visual Studio be more commonly used and if so, would you install it locally and connect to your Azure account?

Also - when companies ask for experience in SQL Azure, do they merely want you to be able to create and develop databases using one the IDEs on Azure, which would mean an experienced SQL Developer like me should be able to get up to speed with SQL Azure in no time?

Duplicated post with New to Azure - which IDE tools? – SQLServerCentral Forums

3 Replies

@fuerteventura2023 , Azure Data Studio is a fine tool to manage SQL Azure databases (and some more RDBMS).

MS Visual Studio can be used together with the SSDT add-in to create database solutions, also for SQL Azure.

See

Download SQL Server Data Tools (SSDT) - SQL Server Data Tools (SSDT) | Microsoft Learn

Olaf

Thank you very much for your reply Olaf - I've installed all the tools you suggest and have also found I can use SSMS!

@CDBCons , SSMS has some limitation when connected to SQL Azure, better use Azure Data Tools.