SQL Server 2019 Express install error "(decimal) -2068119551" for Win10

Copper Contributor

Windows 10 Pro x64 (home device for studying), 1 account with as much privileges as possible while still being safe + MS SQL Server 2019 Express, Basic /Custom (tried both).

I do not have access to the home internet modem/router, I use statically set network addresses. Tried the network reset advice but it didn't help.

I have been trying to install it for several days now, searched the net for similar cases and tried several suggestions, some more sound than others (eg.: I should not have to disable my AV or firewall for any reason, ever.. though that didn't help either).

It keeps ending with "error code (decimal) -2068119551" [...] "Named Pipes Provider, error code 40: could not open a connection to SQL server" a more specific code i se in a log is 5178 for "Starting up database 'master'." then goes on about incompatible drive sectioning.. which shouldn't matter especially for the Basic installation.

I am just trying to install it "the first time" so obviously it won't have anything to connect to.

This is purely for studying and personal use, on a sometimes off the net device (always using localhost). Probably I am interpreting the error message wrong, but it shouldn't even try to connect to anything during installation as there is nothing to connect to yet.

Anyway, please help. Tell me what logs other than what I provided are necessary.

I have tried some other database systems, like PostgreS or MySQL/Xampp to name a few and they went up without any issues, but now I need this one to work with.

0 Replies