Cannot connect to SQL Server 2022

Copper Contributor

I am new to SQL and database and trying to learn. I installed SQL Server 2022 and SSMS . Unfortunately I can't proceed because of the information below.

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

A connection was successfully established with the server, but then an error occurred during the login process. (provider: SSL Provider, error: 0 - The certificate chain was issued by an authority that is not trusted.) (Microsoft SQL Server, Error: -2146893019)

For help, click: https://docs.microsoft.com/sql/relational-databases/errors-events/mssqlserver--2146893019-database-e...

------------------------------

The certificate chain was issued by an authority that is not trusted

BUTTONS:

OK

I have tired to resolve this searching through the web but doesn't seem to find a solution. Any step-by-step approach.

2 Replies

The certificate chain was issued by an authority that is not trusted

@Evans25 , it's a SSL certificate issue on encryted connection, see 

Error message when you connect to SQL Server - SQL Server | Microsoft Learn

You can follow this error using step by step approach:
1) To use a valid SSL certificate you need to check SQL server instance. We need to check certificate properties by connect it within SSMS by connecting to instance.
2) Try checking certificate chain too and verify if its trusted or not. It not need to install root CA certificate on running SSMS. You can check by adding Encrypt=False" in SSMS through string.