Accessing SQL server on remote desktop on virtual machine via local desktop

Copper Contributor

Hi all,

I am currently trying to access a Microsoft SQL server that is on a remote desktop. Accessing the database from within the remote desktop is ofcourse no problem. 

But, pinging to the ip-address of the remote desktop SQL server returns 'request timed out.' I have tried with no firewall & adding the specific ports to the firewall.

The virtual machine from which I can access the remote desktop has a different ip-address than the SQL server. 

I cannot access this remote desktop SQL server from my own local pc(I do have access to the virtual machine) 

Can anyone help out? 

3 Replies

The virtual machine from which I can access the remote desktop has a different ip-address than the SQL server. 

@Santaforss , sure it has a different IP-address, two different machines can't have the same IP address.

Is it in a different subnet? Then may a routing is missing.

At all, that has nothing to do with SQL Server, but with network. So ask your IT dept to assist you and setup the reuqired routing.

Olaf

Thanks @olafhelper , that already provides some clarity.

All I know is that the virtual machine from which the remote computer is accessible is a citrix workspace/pink elephant environment.

The end goal is to connect powerBI to the remoteSQL server, which does not work at the moment. But as I understand, this should be possible, right?

this should be possible, right?

@Santaforss , öhm, yes, if the network and the rest of infrastructre is setup the right way, the you should be able to connect.

But again, that's nothing SQL Server related, but to network.

Olaf