SOLVED

SQL Server Certifications

Brass Contributor

Recently, I have spoken at several user groups and/or SQL Saturday events on SQL Server Certifications. I have posted my powerpoint presentation below. But I thought I would give a quick overview.

First you will need to start by earning one of the four eight MCSA cerfitications. You have the classic MCSA: SQL Server 2012/2014 certification which has been available for several years. Or, you could obtain one of the newer SQL Server 2016 MCSA certifications in either Database Development, Database Administration, or BI Development. (Four new SQL Certification introduced in Spring 2017 are listed at the bottom of this post.) I really like the new streamlined 2016 certifications because you can focus on your area of expertise and you only need two exams. With the SQL Server 2012, you needed a broader knowledge base to earn the MCSA certification. I for one had difficulty with the 70-463 exam as I do not work with Data Warehousing on a regular basis, but I had to learn that material for the exam. If you still want to demonstrate your breadth of knowledge, there is nothing to stop you from earning more than one MCSA.

MCSAsqlcert.JPG

Once you have earned your MCSA, it is now even easier to earn you MCSE. You only need to take ONE of the exams from the electives listed in the next picture to obtain an MCSE. What is even better is that your MCSE no longer expires. However, you can re-earn the MCSE by taking an additional elective exam in subsequent years. I really like this option, because in years past I would need to study older material to renew my MCSE. Now, I can learn new skills for new exams each year while I re-earn my MCSE.  

UPDATE: (March 22, 2017) You can now retake an exam that you have already passed to re-earn your MCSE certification, however you must wait at least 365 days from when you passed the exam before being allowed to take the exam again. 

mcse.JPG

You can still earn the two older MCSE certifications (Database Developer or BI Developer) until March 31, 2017. After that only the MCSE: Data Management & Analytics will be available. Don't forget that once you pass an exam or obtain a certification, head over to the Acclaim website to pick up your shiny, new badge that you can use on social media to show your freinds, family, and co-workers. 

MCSE+Data+Management+and+Analytics-01.png

UPDATE: (April 12, 2017) Four new MCSA certifications were announced today.

(Update May 23, 2017) Names of new MCSA certifications have changed. 

18582567_1534380286580222_8008880480350068911_n.jpg

5 Replies

Really helpful John - thank you.

Quick question on the learning paths though. Have MS retired the 70-463 alternative options or are they still valid?  One of my old students just passed 70-462 today having done 70-761 and the c# alternative last year and is now panicking he won't be awarded the MCSA as they're not referenced on the MS website anymore.

While the option is no longer listed on the website. I have not heard that the alternative options for the 70-463 exam as been discontinued. (Alternative options being able to replace 70-463 with either 70-480, 70-411, or 70-412.) So, I believe you co-worker should have earned the MCSA and it should reflect on his Transcript.

However, I do have a ticket into Microsoft Learning to see if this has changed since it no longer shows on the website. I believe the alternative options were accidently removed in error while the Learning website was being redesigned over the summer.

That's great John.

Thanks very much for the reply

best response confirmed by John Deardurff (Brass Contributor)
Solution

I have verified with Microsoft Learning on the Alternate exam path. There has been a policy change (as of September 2016). The certification requirement for MCSA: SQL 2012/2014 is only 461, 462 and 463. The alternate exam options for the 463 exam is no longer available. There was a period of time after they implemented this change where the credential management system still showed the alternate path as an option for candidates.  As a result, some candidates prepared for and took the alternate exams. For candidates who took these alternate exams before the end of July,  will be awarded credit toward the MCSA SQL 2012/2014. Candidates can contact MCPops@microsoft.com if they need more info or find themselves in this situation.

Hi John,

I am working on preparing MCSA 2016 certification and hope I can get it soon.

Thanks for your sharing.

Best Regards,

Sten

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by John Deardurff (Brass Contributor)
Solution

I have verified with Microsoft Learning on the Alternate exam path. There has been a policy change (as of September 2016). The certification requirement for MCSA: SQL 2012/2014 is only 461, 462 and 463. The alternate exam options for the 463 exam is no longer available. There was a period of time after they implemented this change where the credential management system still showed the alternate path as an option for candidates.  As a result, some candidates prepared for and took the alternate exams. For candidates who took these alternate exams before the end of July,  will be awarded credit toward the MCSA SQL 2012/2014. Candidates can contact MCPops@microsoft.com if they need more info or find themselves in this situation.

View solution in original post