Skype web app and MSI on restricted machines

Copper Contributor

I opened a case with Office 365 support, but they really couldn't understand my issue.  We're moving from GotoMeeting to Skype for our phone and web conferencing.  However, we have run in to issues with our clients being unable to "install" the MSI for the Skype web app on their machine because they're not admins and some don't have access to install ANY applications, even under their own user profile.  So we're stuck going back to GotoMeeting for those folks.  Would really like to see everyone on Skype for Business (E5), but this is a real roadblock for us.

Any other ways around?  Users can't install the MSI or the full Skype clients on their machine.  GotoMeeting doesn't require an actual install, so that runs for them.  Wondering if there are plans to offer some kind of click to run, etc. or some other solution.

9 Replies

Doesn't help right now but I'd keep an eye on Microsoft Teams. It's the eventual successor to the Skype for Business client anyway and they are looking to bring more functionality to the web, for example, video calling

Can you please verify this

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Skype-for-Business-Blog/Enhancing-Skype-for-Business-Online-M...

Especially the:

1. lice does not have Skype for Business installed on her PC, nor does she have local Administrative Rights on her machine.
  2. Alice clicks the Join Skype Meeting link in the invite and installs the Skype Web App. The installation requires no administrative rights on her machine and completes after a few seconds.
Ivan,

I'm limited in what I can see/verify as the issue is with my client's clients. I do know they do not have Skype, nor do they have admin rights to their workstation. Some of these clients are in very secured networks, so not sure if they're using Applocker or similar. Unfortunately, all I know at this point is that some of the clients are unable to install the web client. I don't get a chance to troubleshoot because they're unable to wait for an IT person to talk to the client when they're trying to give a sales demonstration.

--Pat
Understood, in general the app doesn't require local admin rights so I'm a bit surprised. It must be something which is pinning down the install of the app.

Indeed. Wish I had better info or could see what was going on. I've asked that I be involved when this happens next, but usually not doable.

The Skype for Business web apps do require installing a plugin or an app (depending on the version).  If a user doesn't have permission to install any app, then they will not be to use the web app. 

Are you trying to join meetings hosted in Skype for Business Online or in an on-premises server?  There are different versions of the web app that may have different requirements.  If SfBO, the  installer for the Skype Meetings App should not require admin permissions.  One known issue is that then you try to join the first meeting, there is a firewall prompt when the app tries to open ports.  It is safe to cancel the firewall prompt; the ports it tries to open are an optimization, and the app will work successfully without them.  What is the experience that your users are seeing?  Do they see an error message from the install?

Phil Garding

@Phillip GardingI know this is a years old thread, but Skype for Business and its horrendous web app plug-in is still out there.

I have the same issue for months if not a year already. The user can't install the web app .msi, because if you double click it, the installer finishes, but then opens a browser tab saying that the web app was UNinstalled successfully. The URL also includes "uninstall=1" at the end.

What worked for me was to temporarily give the user admin rights, uninstall the web app from Programs & Features if it was installed previously and then reinstall it with the user's admin rights. Then test it and revoke the admin rights. But even this doesn't always work...

Also, try opening the link with MS Edge. Doesn't matter if it's the old or new one. Firefox doesn't work with the web app on our end.

MS needs to fix this...

trure we need help

‌‌:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm: