DLP License Requirements

Copper Contributor

Hi everyone,

I have using DLP endpoint as trial. Now I purchased an E5 license. What to do to continue use the DLP without losing any config or data? Does it matter who am i assigning or do I have to assign someone? One E5 license are enough for our company or how manyI need? CAn I use the DLP endpoint as long as E5 license expires or how? Do I need to take any action?

Could you answer these questions please?

Thank you so much.

5 Replies
As long as you have at least one qualifying license, you can continue using the feature with no changes. Configuration will be preserved, unless you have configured features explicitly dependent on additional SKUs (i.e. endpoint or MCAS integration).
Refer to the official documentation for more details: https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/office365/servicedescriptions/microsoft-365-service-descriptions/m...

I couldn't find the answers which I'm looking for from there. So, I have just one Microsoft 365 E5 License, I can continue to use the DLP for Endpoint for the all company users without assigning it  as long as the License is available? That is true?@Vasil Michev 

Being able to use a given functionality does not mean you are allowed to, you will still be breaching the license agreement. Microsoft simply chooses not to enforce licensing requirements in code for many of the features, which doesn't mean they just look away if you violate the terms.
I think I couldn't explain it clearly. What I want to learn simply is that how many license do i need. Do I need licenses as much as users or just one is enough to use DLP for endpoint feature for the all company? Because to use that feature device onboarding is needed. So, should I buy the licenses for each device? This is not a situation related terms violation.
You need a license for each user under the scope of the policy. In the case of Endpoint DLP, you need to cover all users logging in to the devices you plan to protect.