SOLVED

Microphone problems in Teams app

Brass Contributor

Hi all,

When I use the Teams app, I have problems with my microphone when I wear my earphones. The other people in the conversations can't hear me. I tried it several times now. When I join the meeting in the web version of Microsoft Teams, my microphone works perfectly fine with my earphones. But I would like to join the meetings in the Teams app. What could be the problem?

I already tried several things. My microphone is not muted, I selected the right headphones in the settings in Teams. I also did a test call in the Microsoft Teams app. I cannot hear myself in this test. 

Thank you for your help.

56 Replies
just for my interest:

* which windows version do u have?
Windows 10
* which hardware do u have? vendor? model?
Lenovo Thinkpad
* external / internal microphone?
Both: laptop microphone and earphones microphone
I'm using Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad T430
Internal Microphone

thx guys, so @jamesangelesnd and I have this issue for a colleague with:

* Huawei Mate Book
* Win10 Business
* Internal and external 

so we have nothing common...

Which Teams version do u have?
It is manually installed or with Intune or any other management tool?

@salihzett 

Hi, i have the same problem with a Desktop PC.

I have wired headphones and Teams App in Windows does not ear my voice, but when i use a browser (EDGE) and other applications the microphone works well.

* Windows 10 Pro (1903)

* External microphone

* Teams version 1.3.00.12058

@BryanBizarro @jeaninek @Dick_Grady @mms19 

Did u install Teams manually or with management applications such as Intune?
Also: is your windows device managed with Intune or any other management system?

So it is not the Teams or Windows version, i cant believe it is the hardware, because all other applications and the teams web application works so far.

Maybe it is a special audio codec version somewhere deep in Teams... 

but also maybe it is related to Intune. So we are using Intune, but we have only one user with this issue.

now we have the second device in our company with this issue.

we compared both + one with same vendor / model without this issue:
Both are 

User 1

(has issue)

User 2

(has issue)

User 3

(has not issue)

DeviceHuawai Matebook X1Huawai Matebook X1Huawai Matebook X1
Version 10.0.18363.836 10.0.18363.83610.0.18362.836
LangEnterprise en-GBEnterprise en-USEnterprise de-DE
TeamsInstalled with Intune
 Teams Machine-Wide Installer 1.3.0.362
Installed with Intune
SSD512512120

Intune installed Teams regarding this: 
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoftteams/msi-deployment

For me, it would be interesting to know How u installed Teams? Manually or with Intune or other mobile management systems.

@jeaninek 

Hi guys I have a doubt that in Microsoft teams during online class my mic is not working  and the host can't hear me. So if u have any ideas Pls help me guys. Please. 

Thanking you

Microsoft is ignoring this case and the support is not helpful. Suggest always nonsense flows such as uninstall, install, restarting device.

The first 5-6 emails with MS support is always like "I am a tech guy, not an idiot and I wouldn't write u when I wouldn't test and try everything"

No, they suggest replacing a NEW device, and they don't care if it's working for exactly the same device, or if this works for teams web, and a few minutes/hours after reinstall the whole Windows 10 OS.

Sorry, but shame.

@BrinthaT  -- For some unknown reason, under certain circumstances on some computers, the teams app sets your internal microphone input volume so low that you have to have your mouth right next to the microphone for anyone to hear.  There seems to be only two solutions to this problem at present.  

1.  Try uninstalling the Teams app from your computer and use teams from your web browser.

2.  Or use a USB headset with a built in microphone.

So far I've not found a way to use the internal microphone on my computer with the Teams App.  This is a Microsoft issue since the internal microphone works perfectly with Zoom and other VoIPs.  On a couple of occasions, though, after using a MS program I've found the microphone driver disabled.  I've needed to restart my computer in 'Safe Mode' to get the driver to reinstall properly. 

Hello @Paul33.  You say

"Other user with identical hardware have no problems. "

With the computer that has the problem, if a different user logs on to that machine, do they also encounter the problem?

I have the same issue. I restored my laptop, did not lose any data and it sorted it out permanently.

@Jowag 

This is ridiculous. User in my org, same problem. Surface Book Pro 3, Win 10, using built in mic, Intune managed. I do *not* want to restore her device. Or make her use Teams for web. She can make Skype for Business calls fine. 

best response confirmed by ThereseSolimeno (Microsoft)
Solution

@jeaninek 

This is what worked for me.
I am using a USB microphone.

I found this strange behavior. When I click on "Show device settings" in the "More actions" menu. 
kevenA_0-1597170148121.jpeg
The mic will not work. It's bugged.

However, when accessing the device settings from the icon.
kevenA_1-1597170148122.jpeg

Then

Annotation 2020-08-11 150508.png

The microphone will work normally.
I'm not sure why this happens. This is what I've found. 

I hope It helps. 

Using a USB headset or external microphone has always been a solution to this problem.  The real issue seems to be that under some conditions, Teams assumes that one is using a headset.  It resets the internal microphone volume so that one needs to have the mouth immediately next to the microphone to be heard.  Any headset plugged into the USB port overcomes this problem.  This does not work when using the internal notebook microphone.  And on at least one occasion, after using a USB headset in order to use Teams, the app also disabled the driver for my internal microphone.  The only way I could restore it was to restart my computer in 'safe mode'.  

I get this too. 

I have an external USB microphone and an internal laptop microphone. Both mics work fine if I do a recording and playback test, and also in the MS Teams test call. But when I go on a real MS Teams call everyone is telling me I am really quiet and they can't hear me (using he external MIC by default). If I switch to the internal MIC then all is good.

This has only recently started being a problem, and so far it only seems to affect MS Teams in a real calls, not a test call.

@jeaninek The below solved the same problem by increasing the levels in microphone properties -

sarat2_1-1598458565930.png

@jeaninek 

I'm having the same problem with the Teams desktop app and my Rode Podcaster microphone (USB).  It hijacks the level setting for the mic and no one can hear me.  And it's not a constant level, it goes back and forth 0 to 23.  It only happens with Teams and only when Teams is using that mic.  If I switch to using my webcam as the mic, people can hear me.

I Have the same problem. My Mic works well on Lync meetings, but not in Teams.

@Chris Miller I have the same problem with a Fifine K670 microphone. The others work great.

The problem just happens when I'm accessing the device settings in Teams.

I found this solution the fixes the problem while we wait for a permanent fix from Microsoft.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/education_ms/forum/all/stopping-the-microphone-from-automaticall...

This does only work for people who are able to run an application as administrator on their computer.