Meeting Chat link to Teams Channel

Copper Contributor

Hello community,

I am wondering if there is any way you can link meetings chat to a Teams channel.

Scenario: Teams meeting held from Teams calendar, and during the meeting lots of material has been dropped into a chat channel created from that meeting (Chat with Participants).

There is a Team channel that has been created as part of a project that the meeting was needed for, and we want to link the meeting chat directly back to the Team itself.

Either in the form of a hyperlink, or a Tab... basically any way!

Alas, despite much searching, opening the Team in SharePoint and have a good deep look there doesn't appear to be any way bar cutting and pasting into the Team.

Most methods of cut and paste you actually lose all the formatting, and the only one I have found which retains it is dropping it in a word document and then linking the word document as a tab in the Teams channel - this is clunky however.

Any advice gratefully received please!

Thanks, Ali.

8 Replies
Short answer is no, you cannot move or link to that chat other than just linking the meeting join link in a channel chat.

Long answer, you can schedule these meetings to take place in the actual channel then all the chat activity will be placed in a new conversation for the meeting so that it is there for consumption. That is how you can get the chat into a Team channel currently.

@Chris Webb Hi, 

Is there any way to link an existing meeting, created with Outlook, to a Teams Team??

Many thanks in advance!!

To a Teams meeting yes, edit the original invite in Outlook and click the "Teams Meeting" button and send out the updated invite. This assumes you have the Teams Desktop client installed and the Outlook add-in.

If you mean a Channel meeting inside of Teams then no you cannot.

@Chris Webb Thanks, that's what I thought!!! Many thanks for clarifying though!

> Short answer is no
Such a pitty :(
This is really a fundamental feature MS Teams must have ! Chats are all over but there's no way for us to link to the Channels.

@TechArch29 is Microsoft going to update Teams so you can provide a link to a meeting chat? This is a feature needed for larger or smaller teams that need to share/reference previous communications.

@TechArch29

Hi,

I am not an expert at all but I found a way to do that by using the Teams web version and copy/paste the hyperlink to the chat in a link that I created in the channel I wanted.

J-S