SOLVED

Fixes to Teams Gradebook Accessibility/Editability for Teachers

Copper Contributor

Teams gradebook has some serious limitations I don't understand and that are putting me on the fence of whether or not it's ultimately going to be useful for my class.

1. Why, as the Team organizer, can I not manually edit grades in the gradebook?

- I've assigned quizzes through Forms (which is pretty lame as far as options but good enough for now). I had a student who accidentally submitted early. I wasn't able to re-assign, I had to just share the form with him. Now, I can't go into the gradebook and edit his grade (which is zero now)? 

2. There are major discrepancies with what students see and what I see.

- I can see points received by students who at the same time, can't see the points they've been awarded.

If anyone has experience working around these issues, PLEASE let me know. 

4 Replies
best response confirmed by Rich_Th (Copper Contributor)
Solution
1) As a temporary workaround, you can open up the form and manually update the student's mark. Let's say that the quiz is 34 questions and you want to increase a student grade from 0 to 32, you can just key it into the first field. Forms has support for bonus marks, so this should work, even if it's a one-mark question. You can upvote this idea on UserVoice: https://microsoftteams.uservoice.com/forums/599053-schools-and-universities/suggestions/36805600-qui....

2) When assessing assignments, you need to click on the purple Return button in order to make the mark viewable to students. For auto-marking quizzes, a toggle under the form settings allows you to set whether students can see the result. If you've already done this, you can reach out to Microsoft's Education support team by completing the form on https://edusupport.microsoft.com/.

I hope that this information helps address these issues!

@daylencaThanks again for the response.

I upvoted the quiz retake.

It is very strange not to be able to manually edit student points, but Microsoft still has the best thing going. I just hope they keep us struggling in mind when deciding how much energy to apply to some development. 

I'll gather more evidence, but I'm 97% sure I had a student who saw his assignment marked late, and I was seeing it returned. I really hope I'm wrong.

@daylenca 

The real problem is that students can't see their grades in real time until they complete an assignment.

I want to assign a value of zero for now, and want to be able to change those values later, should the student demonstrate something toward that grade in the future. 

I do not see any way to open a quiz and manipulate a score for someone who hasn't turned it in.

What is the use of a quiz to a student who can't review it for the exam?

The whole point of a grade is to track progress, not assign something at the end. 

This problem is seriously debilitating to my control of education in my classroom. 

***Updated post - I was not able to change grades, then I deleted the Teams update and reverted back to an earlier version of Teams, and I can now go in and put the "1" or the "5" that will let the kids and me know I have checked the assignment.  Maybe it has to do with your organization or the updates....who knows?  

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Rich_Th (Copper Contributor)
Solution
1) As a temporary workaround, you can open up the form and manually update the student's mark. Let's say that the quiz is 34 questions and you want to increase a student grade from 0 to 32, you can just key it into the first field. Forms has support for bonus marks, so this should work, even if it's a one-mark question. You can upvote this idea on UserVoice: https://microsoftteams.uservoice.com/forums/599053-schools-and-universities/suggestions/36805600-qui....

2) When assessing assignments, you need to click on the purple Return button in order to make the mark viewable to students. For auto-marking quizzes, a toggle under the form settings allows you to set whether students can see the result. If you've already done this, you can reach out to Microsoft's Education support team by completing the form on https://edusupport.microsoft.com/.

I hope that this information helps address these issues!

View solution in original post