Changes to Teams meeting recordings for EDU A1 & “Recording failed to upload to Stream” error

Microsoft

Hello everyone - I wanted to post a note about a change for Microsoft 365 Education A1 customers which went into effect this week.  This message was posted on the M365 Admin Message Center back on 21-July-2020 as MC218976 (pasted at the bottom of this post), but I wanted to make sure everyone was aware of the change.

In summary, Teams meeting recordings initiated by an A1 licensee will no longer automatically upload to Microsoft Stream. Note that A1 customers can still record Teams meetings, meeting attendees can download and watch the recording, and the recording can be uploaded to Stream, Teams, SharePoint, or OneDrive (see https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/stream/portal-upload-teams-meeting-recording).  

Additionally, as this is rolling out, some customers have reported seeing “Recording failed to upload to Stream” errors, while others are not.  Our apologies for this misleading error message. When this A1 change went live, an update to the message logic and text shown was being rolled out, but it has not reached all M365 users yet. This will be resolved in the upcoming days when the update reaches all customers.

If you have any other questions or comments, please post them below.

------------------------------------------------------------

For customers with EDU A1 and A1 Plus licenses, Teams meeting recordings will no longer automatically upload to Microsoft Stream effective August 20, 2020. 

Key points

• Timing: August 20, 2020
  • Roll-out: tenant level
  • Control type: user control
  • Action: review and assess

How this will affect your organization

This change is expected to last through the end of 2020, and Microsoft will provide updates for further changes. Meetings recorded before August 15 are not affected by this change.

Following this change, your end users will continue to be able to record Teams meetings.

• To playback the meeting recording, participants will need to download the file from the chat window.
  • To share or archive a recording, meeting participants will need to download the file and then upload it to Teams, Stream, SharePoint, or OneDrive.

Meeting recordings will be available in the meeting chat for a period of 21 days after the meeting. After 21 days, the meeting recordings will no longer be available for download from the chat.

The download dialog includes the expiration date.

img.png

What you need to do to prepare

Review the change and consider how to advise your end users of the change. Learn how to upload a video to Stream.

------------------------------------------------------------

5 Replies

@descapa_msft What license should we assign to teachers so that the recordings are automatic?

@rnads Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but since that change just affected the A1 license, A3 or A5 licenses should still have that functionality.

Estou bastante preocupado, porque em duas instituições de ensino, usando essa ferramenta constantemente...

@LindsayTShelton correct it was only for A1 users who hit record in Teams no other changes for other license types such as A3 or A5. 

Hello everyone - I wanted to make sure everyone who was interested in this that they saw our new Teams meeting recoding experience where recordings will be saved to OneDrive for Business & SharePoint.   You can learn more about it here: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/MicrosoftTeams/tmr-meeting-recording-change

As mentioned in the document & video we are starting to roll this out here at the start of the quarter.  If you have EDU A1 licenses and want to have recordings saved automatically, to SharePoint/OneDrive, please opt into this new experience listed on the site above.  Thank you and please send us the feedback you have.