Report Message Add-in going away?

Copper Contributor

Logging on to the Threat Policy page today and was presented with the below message.

"The User reported message settings page will start moving for some tenants in late-March 2022 from the Policies & rules section to the Settings section of the Microsoft 365 Defender portal. Also to simplify reporting messages in your organization, we'll be integrating the report feature directly into Outlook's default Junk and Phishing buttons starting. You will no longer need the Report Message add-in. All tenants will see the new change by end of April 2022. "

Does this mean the Report Message-Add In is going away? How will users report Phishing?

Will the Report Message-Add In quit working? I can't find any additional information on this topic so I would appreciate any info.

Thanks.

10 Replies
Interesting, I always wondered why you had to deploy a add-on for this and why they just didn't include that into Outlook directly. Judt wondering how many months/years it will be before it gets into the semi-annual channel.
I came to the forum to ask the same question. I am equally confused. The message is clearly incomplete: "...we'll be integrating the report feature directly into Outlook's default Junk and Phishing buttons starting." A date was plainly supposed to go there.

I have checked through the Message Center and can see no references to this development. If anyone has an MC number, please post.

As another poster has implied, Microsoft can hardly withdraw the existing functionality if the replacement depends on a code refresh they have not yet themselves published. Well, I suppose they can...

@Marco Bunschoten  the report message add-in and phishing is eventually going to go away (once your organization has moved over to reporting from outlook buttons and we will provide you ample time for the same). Till that happens, the users can report phishing from the add-in. 

We will be supporting the add-in till your organization is comfortable using the outlook buttons we will be rolling out in few months. We will be publishing a blog and MC post detailing more about the changes soon. We want to ensure a smooth transition for everyone

Can you provide the link to the blog and MC Post?  Do you know when these changes are going live?  Thank you @Dhairyya_Agarwal 

There is no ETA on it and blog post and MC post around it.
Still, you have my assurance that those will be done before it is rolled out.

@Dhairyya_Agarwal Is this change still being made by the end of April? 

"... Also to simplify reporting messages in your organization, we'll be integrating the report feature directly into Outlook's default Junk and Phishing buttons starting.  You will no longer need the Report Message add-in.  All tenants will see the new change by end of April 2022.  

I believe I see this has occurred in the web version of Outlook, but will this feature also be in the local Outlook instance?  If so, when and how will that be available?  Will there be an Office Update or will that automatically appear in Outlook?

Thank you

No, the timelines have changed and we dont have an updated ETA as of now.

We have not rolled it out anywhere till now. There will be prior communication before it is rolled out anywhere

@Dhairyya_Agarwal Any news on the ETA on this? I just notice that if I reported a message using the built-in reporting mechanism on Outlook Desktop on Windows it turned up ni the security.microsoft.com > Actions & Submissions > Submissions > User reported so maybe we're getting close in not needing the Report Message Add-in anymore?

@Jonas Back there is no update on the ETA for outlook Windows clients, Outlook Mobile client and Outlook Mac client. To make the transition smoother, the report phish and report message add-in and the inbuild report button are both supported by Microsoft. Irrespective of wherever the end user report from, it will be routed as per your user reported settings. 

Hope that helps.