telemetryd_v2 High CPU in macOS

Brass Contributor

DK1_0-1653161030759.png

I've been seeing this process have consistently high CPU use. According to Activity Monitor, it's a child process of wdavdaemon_enterprise. I tried disabling realtime protection, but that did not decrease the CPU use. The other notable change that I can think of is that I downloaded the Chromium codebase yesterday and built it, so I'm wondering if that's causing the cloud submission process to go crazy. I looked at this page, but it only discusses realtime scanning.

Can anyone provide insight on what this specific process is responsible for? Thanks.

6 Replies

I'm seeing the same on my Macbook

lmasieri_0-1654470627504.png

@DK1 and @Imasieri, I was not able to find any open support cases with the telemetry_v2 process running high cpu.
Step 1) Please make sure that you are able to reproduce in the latest MDE for macOS. For the latest version, please review: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-365/security/defender-endpoint/mac-whatsnew?view=o365-wor...
Step 2) Try going thru the steps here: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-365/security/defender-endpoint/mac-support-perf?view=o365...
If the problem still occurs:
Step 3) Collect a diagnostic log, by downloading and running aka.ms/xMDEClientAnalyzerBinary
Step 4) Contact your helpdesk/fieldtech, or the Sec Admin that has access to security.microsoft.com, and ask them to open a Microsoft CSS Support ticket.
Thank you,
Yong Rhee [MSFT]

@Yong Rhee I think that turning off cloud-delivered protection reduced the network traffic.

@algomusic you want to have "Cloud delivered protection" turned-on, or you will significantly reduce the protection on your systems.  I would suggest to have a Microsoft support case open to further investigate.  Thanks, Yong Rhee [MSFT]

Try turning off device discovery.
Thanks all for the replies. I think this must've been an issue with that particular build of MDE. I haven't seen the issue reoccur since my original post.