Microsoft defender for endpoint setup wizard ended prematurely because of an error

Copper Contributor

Dear all,

I have an issue where I am installing EDR on OS 2012R2 servers.
I`ve downloaded the .msi and onboarding files from security.microsoft.com and I`ve installed it on more than 100 machines. 
Now I`ve run to an issue with one specific machine where the .msi does not want to proceed with the installation.

What I`ve tested in order to fix the issue :
- Restart the Windows Installer service

-Clear TEMP folder

-Re register VBScript and Windows Installer Service

-Start with admin rights 

-Start with local admin

-Remove my user profile, re-create it and try again

-Run an SFC scan

-Reboot the server

The error from event viewer is the following :

Windows Installer installed the product. Product Name: Microsoft Defender for Endpoint. Product Version: 4.18.40605. Product Language: 1033. Manufacturer: Microsoft Corporation. Installation success or error status: 1603.

None of those steps helped me to resolve the issue. 
Does anyone had this issue before? If yes, how it was solved.

Thanks to everyone!

4 Replies
IF you are installing via an MSI there should be a log file created by the installer service, or you may have to specify the log file location via your msiexec command line. That log file might have some specific data on the problem encountered by the installer.
try to run the MDE analyzer client tool on this device that will generate report and shows you what is causing you that error.

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-365/security/defender-endpoint/run-analyzer-windows?view...