Modifying members of Outlook groups

Steel Contributor

It's nice to have new features but they should be compatible with existig features:

Our users are trying to modify the members of an Outlook group (O365 group) using Outlook. They are used to do this through the addressbook. When opening an outlook group via the address book, you can see the following dialog with an option to modify the members. When trying to modify the members you eventually get an error. The button to modify the members should be disabled or should bring you to the new members dialog.

Untitled-1.png

3 Replies

Which version are you using? At which point do you get an error?

I don't seem to get errors here...

Yep, working for me too...FYI, I'm on first release and this is the Office version I have: 16.0.7329.1054

I have hit the problem myself and it is erratic as sometimes you can edit the membership of a group and sometimes you cannot. The problem is, I think, deep in Outlook and is linked to whether the client is connected to a Domain Controller of the domain owning the group (something taken from the depths of my mind). If the client is connected to a DC, you can amend the group because the group is owned by the domain and the DC has write access to the group. If not, you cannot. I believe that this is what happens with on-premises Exchange and it is reasonably logical. It's also the reason why people have advised for years not to depend on Outlook to maintain group membership (DLs). Now, Exchange Online is a different beast and Office 365 Groups are not DLs, but a fair chance exists that the same principles apply...

TR