How to manage O365 Group membership through AD Security Groups and/or nested O365 Groups?

Steel Contributor

I have two issues concerning management of membership in Groups:

1. In the Outlook Widget, I see that I can add another O365 Group as a member in an O365 Group. But what does it mean? It seems like I am then adding the individual members from the other groups as members, not the Group as such? Or is the meaning of this that I should be able to manage individuals for instance in a "mother" group, and then add the group itself to another group as a nested group? Why don´t I then see the group in the membership list?

2. Security Groups and mail-enabled security groups seems to be a better way to manage a company or department team on a regular basis. But it does not seem that I am able to add an AD Security Group as a member in an Office 365 Group. Am I missing something, and/or is this on the roadmap?

41 Replies

Hello @Christophe Fiessinger, any update on the ability to sync security groups with Office 365 Group members? Do you have in mind any other idea for doing so?

It's been more than a year so it would be nice to have some progress about it.

This is crazy. How can you use O365 groups to apply permissions and not support nested security groups.

When can we expect this feature. It has been over 2 years now.