Create mail-enabled security group from 0365 portal

Copper Contributor

I'm trying to create a mail-enabled security group from the 0365 admin portal. However, the two options I seem to have are to either create an 0365 group or create a security group.

Is it not possible to create a mail enabled security group from the 0365 admin portal?

2 Replies

Not sure where exactly you are looking at, but under Groups -> Add a Group I have four options, including mail-enabled security group. If for whatever reason the portal is acting on you, you can always use the Exchange Admin Center or good old New-DistributionGroup -Type Security cmdlet.

@Jason Horner 

There appears to be lack of options over there. Admin Portal shows the following when trying to create Groups using O365 Admin Portal.

Admin Portal > Groups > Active Groups > Add a Group

This shows following options:

Mail Enabled Security Groups Questions.PNG

But if you want to use groups for email and collaboration, it is recommended that you create a Microsoft 365 group instead.

License Information for this screenshot: Microsoft 365 E5 Developer (without Windows and Audio Conferencing)

It may due to different URL’s as well. You may not see Mail-Enable Security Group Option to create a new Group via Office 365 Admin Portal, however, you can also create Mail-Enabled Security Groups using Exchange Online with the second URL. You need to go to admin.exchange.microsoft.com