Microsoft Secure Tech Accelerator
Apr 03 2024, 07:00 AM - 11:00 AM (PDT)
Microsoft Tech Community

Advanced hunting that queries VirusTotal detections

Copper Contributor

MDATP supports VirusTotal detection ratio for most executions. But how to query VirusTotal details using advanced hunting? For example,

DeviceProcessEvents

| where VirusTotalDetections > 5

How to extract and translate the "VirusTotal detection ratio" parameter from execution GUI tree to advanced hunting query? Thank you.

4 Replies

Nobody knows?

Interesting question @genckelmendi. It seems that this information is not being parsed and is being presented "as/is" given that it is a dynamic value (detection ratio is not static) updated each time the page loads.

Be that as it may, I would place my bet that this information would be found in AlertEvidence table, which I checked, but AdditionalFields doesn't seem to have this information.

:sad:

If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved

If you like my response, please consider giving it a like

Thank you @cyb3rmik3 , likewise I still haven't found a way around this. By dynamic, you mean that MDATP requests detection ratio from VT each time it loads process tree?

Hello @genckelmendi,

yes, exactly, every time the page loads, it should be invoking information from VT. And it is reasonable, given that VT detection ratio changes based on vendors improvements and the community.

Hence, it seems justified not to include this string in the AdditionalFields of AlertEvidence.

If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved

If you like my response, please consider giving it a like