I remember running my first commands and building my first automation using Windows PowerShell back in 2006. Since then, PowerShell became one of my daily tools to build, deploy, manage IT environments. With the release of PowerShell version 6 and now PowerShell 7, PowerShell became cross-platform. This means you can now use it on even more systems like Linux and macOS. With PowerShell becoming more and more powerful (you see what I did there ;)), more people are asking me how they can get started and learn PowerShell. Luckily we just released 5 new modules on Microsoft Learn for PowerShell.
Learn PowerShell on Microsoft Learn
Microsoft Learn Introduction to PowerShell
Learn about the basics of PowerShell. This cross-platform command-line shell and scripting language is built for task automation and configuration management. You'll learn basics like what PowerShell is, what it's used for, and how to use it.
- Understand what PowerShell is and what you can use it for.
- Use commands to automate tasks.
- Leverage the core cmdlets to discover commands and learn how they work.
PowerShell learn module: Introduction to PowerShell
Connect commands into a pipeline
In this module, you'll learn how to connect commands into a pipeline. You'll also learn about filtering left, formatting right, and other important principles.
- Explore cmdlets further and construct a sequence of them in a pipeline.
- Apply sound principles to your commands by using filtering and formatting.
PowerShell learn module: Connect commands into a pipeline
Introduction to scripting in PowerShell
This module introduces you to scripting with PowerShell. It introduces various concepts to help you create script files and make them as robust as possible.
- Understand how to write and run scripts.
- Use variables and parameters to make your scripts flexible.
- Apply flow-control logic to make intelligent decisions.
- Add robustness to your scripts by adding error management.
PowerShell learn module: Introduction to scripting in PowerShell
Write your first PowerShell code
Getting started by writing code examples to learn the basics of programming in PowerShell!
- Manage PowerShell inputs and outputs
- Diagnose errors when you type code incorrectly
- Identify different PowerShell elements like cmdlets, parameters, inputs, and outputs.
PowerShell learn module: Write your first PowerShell code
Automate Azure tasks using scripts with PowerShell
Install Azure PowerShell locally and use it to manage Azure resources.
- Decide if Azure PowerShell is the right tool for your Azure administration tasks
- Install Azure PowerShell on Linux, macOS, and/or Windows
- Connect to an Azure subscription using Azure PowerShell
- Create Azure resources using Azure PowerShell
PowerShell learn module: Automate Azure tasks using scripts with PowerShell
Want to learn how to install PowerShell 7? Check out my video on Microsoft Channel 9.
I hope this helps you get started and learn PowerShell! If you have any questions feel free to leave a comment!