Why we need to give full control to all site collection for Learning Path App

Copper Contributor

To setup Learning Pathways in our tenant I have follow  instruction from article but while provisioning the app it's asking "Have full control of all site collection" and "read your profile"
I don't understand and didn't get proper article where it's explained why app needs these high level permissions as learning-pathways is a separate site-collection what it will do after getting "full control of all site collection" ?
I need to present proper justification before approving this permission as it's high level permission.

Fullcontrol.PNG

2 Replies

@Vidhi7 

I believe that this is requested because according to Microsoft, the app is adding the ability to provision sites to your entire SharePoint tenant. (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sharepoint/dev/solution-guidance/pnp-provisioning-tenant-templates) In order to do that, you have to give the provisioning app elevated permissions in order to be able to utilize it in the future to provision any site template you would like to enable.

I've worked at companies where they used this app to enable a custom form to be submitted for approval and it would then automatically provision a new site (collection) for the requester. I am pretty sure that is why it is asking you for this level of permission - so that you can also leverage the provisioning engine to provision other site collection templates in the future. 

Exactly and i agree with this to.

It has to provision all the materials for the pathways so i need those permissions.

If you don't want to make your life more difficult this is the best way to avoid problems also this only providing access for this specific API to make changes to your sharepoint site. It can't be used for nothing else.