SOLVED

Running only office 365 updates from SCCM

Iron Contributor

Hi,

I have a SCCM 1706 environment which is managing 20k+ pc's. We also have a WSUS deployment what is taking care of the updates regarding Windows 7, 8.1 servers etc. In a new project we are working on a Office365 C2R roll-out for all those workstations. We are performing the roll-out with ODT which will look to SCCM for the updates. And we will use the GPO for current PC's with the office 365 client.

My question is: is it possible to only manage Office 365 updates from SCCM and keep the OS updates and all other updates on WSUS?

1 Reply
best response confirmed by Jerry Meyer (Iron Contributor)
Solution

I have found the solution for my own question. When proceeding with updates for the office 365 client you have to make a decision what you want to use.

Why?

The SCCM agent overwrites the GPO settings of WSUS so you cannot run both SCCM and WSUS at the same time for one specific Workstation or Group of workstations in the same OU.

The work around is to install the Office 2016 GPO packages from the Microsoft site and use the GPO templates to update the clients when you are in a WSUS managed environment

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Jerry Meyer (Iron Contributor)
Solution

I have found the solution for my own question. When proceeding with updates for the office 365 client you have to make a decision what you want to use.

Why?

The SCCM agent overwrites the GPO settings of WSUS so you cannot run both SCCM and WSUS at the same time for one specific Workstation or Group of workstations in the same OU.

The work around is to install the Office 2016 GPO packages from the Microsoft site and use the GPO templates to update the clients when you are in a WSUS managed environment

View solution in original post