Defender ATP Onboarding Package Deployment

Copper Contributor

I've downloaded and extracted the onboarding package (Microsoft Endpoint Configuration Manager current branch and later) and am trying to create a Microsoft Defender ATP Policy. In the policy wizard when selecting the Configuration File, I am left with the following in the screenshot. The Workspace Key and Workspace Id aren't populating and I'm not sure where to find this information. In fact, I created a previous papckage awhile back and do not remember being prompted for a Key/Id. Endpoint Configuration Manager version is 2002.Annotation 2020-05-08 132039.png

6 Replies

@samuel_b For Configuration Manager version 2002, you'll need the Workspace key and Workspace ID even if you're onboarding only Windows Server 2019 and Windows Server 1803 or later devices. You can get these values by selecting Settings > Onboarding > Windows 7 and 8.1 from the Microsoft Defender ATP online service. See Microsoft Defender Advanced Threat Protection: Onboard devices for detailed information.

@Michiel Overweel Great, this is just what I needed - oversight on my part. Thank you for the assistance!

@Samuel Bras As of ConfigMgr 2002 Hotfix KB4553501the Workspace Key and Workspace ID fields are optional in the Create Microsoft Defender ATP Policy Wizard.

@Michiel Overweel Excellent - thank you for the additional information!

@samuel_b 

can this be used for windows servers as well?

@jpcaid5 Microsoft Defender for Endpoint, as it is called nowadays, supports Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 and up. See Minimum requirements for Microsoft Defender for Endpoint for details.