Patching CentOS7 using Azure Automation - Update management

Copper Contributor

Hi,

About 6 months ago I configured Update Management in Azure Automation to handle patching of my Windows and Linux VMs (CentOS7). Windows VMs are patching fine, however when looking into a patching issue for a particular VM, I noticed that none of the Linux VMs have been patching.

I finally got some time today to investigate and I found that the CentOS update repositories don't publish update category information (security, critical, other) that Update Management looks for when working out what patches to apply. Via the Azure Portal I can see there are 240 updates available across 5 VMs, however none of them are selected for installation as they don't match the classification criteria.

Has anyone successfully patched CentOS VMs via Azure Automation and would be able to assist with getting patches to install?

Cheers,

Josh

3 Replies

@azureninja thanks for the suggestion, but I'd looked there already. MS say that because the CentOS update repos don't publish update classification info (e.g. security, critical, other) Azure Update Management can't recognise what needs to be installed. I'm not sure if the solution is to not use classifications in UM (although you can't not select classifications in the update schedules) or to point CentOS at a different update repo (I'm not even sure any others exist).

Josh

@JRSSA I am also facing the same issue. Not able to install critical/security patches for Centos using Azure. Could you please share if you were able to find any other way to patch Centos using Azure.