Creating workbench deployment: keeps failing

Copper Contributor

What can I say? I've created a new resource group on my dev/test subscription, location = UK South. Create a new Azure Blockchain Workbench: default settings, in UK South location.

After 45-50 minutes, the worker VM deployment "fails". The monitoring board shows stuff running, but the VM within the scaling group says "failed", as does the activity log/notification tracking the deployment.

Tried that twice so far, takes close to an hour, then fails. Right now I'm trying to delete the whole resource group for the third time (*that* fails, too!).

Any ideas?

(Edit; issue deleting is:

Failed to delete resource group BeatBrain: Deletion of resource group 'BeatBrain' failed as resources with identifiers 'Microsoft.Sql/servers/db-b3uxig-baz' could not be deleted. The provisioning state of the resource group will be rolled back. The tracking Id is '76b6eda5-5fed-4940-bef7-5b5d5d1b4ff0'. Please check audit logs for more details. (Code: ResourceGroupDeletionBlocked) The resource type 'locations/serverAzureAsyncOperation' could not be found in the namespace 'Microsoft.Sql' for api version '2019-06-01-preview'. The supported api-versions are '2015-05-01-preview,2017-03-01-preview,2017-10-01-preview,2018-06-01-preview'. (Code: InvalidResourceType, Target: /subscriptions/XXXXXXXX-c661-4704-a31f-3e7ff66cdbfb/resourceGroups/XXXX/providers/Microsoft.Sql/servers/db-b3uxig-baz)

)

Update: tried twice more. One deployment "disappeared" (closed the browser, resource group remained empty). Another one is running now. I still can't delete the two remaining resources in the old group: an IP address and a network security group, nor via trying to delete the group itself.  Both individual deletes fail with, "The resource operation completed with terminal provisioning state 'Failed'.".

4 Replies

Is there somewhere else I should have asked that...??

@kierenj have you tried again, and is this still failing?  I worked with Microsoft on a similar issue deleting resource groups, and they resolved an issue on their end that was causing it. 

My issue only started showing up a few days before your post, and I had regularly been deleting resource groups up to that point.  I can delete them again after the update on their side.

@KindredDevI got it working in a US region, which was good enough for my experiments, thanks.

Hi @kierenj ,

Make sure you have configured active directory properly and permission to Graph api for app roles, deployment for workbench will fail mostly if you haven't configured active directory properly .

please refer below link to deploy workbench step by step ,let me know if still issue appears . Possible please provide screenshot of your AD configuration and permissions.

http://asifwaquar.com/blockchain-app-prototype-using-azure-blockchain-workbench/

thank you

Asif