SOLVED

ADO Repo: how can I hide some files in the repo from some users?

Copper Contributor

Using an Azure Repos git repo within Azure DevOps (not github) ...

Can I configure permissions such that some users cannot see all files within the repository?

For example, maybe I can configure permissions to allow access to some code folders but not others.    

Was hoping maybe I could tie certain folders in the repo to Areas and then configure permissions on Areas.

Looks like I may be able to do this by setting permissions on branches but not folders within a branch.

I haven't seen this in the documentation so far.

4 Replies

@Kidd_Ip 

I dont see that this solution is available for git-based Azure Repos, only TFS-based repos.

Using a basic license, I dont get any options for adding paths to files for git.

I've looked at the manner in which JSON can be crafted for custom roles.

I havent found any documentation for the Azure Repos (git) provider which shows how paths can be configured in the JSON. For example, in scope or permissions.
best response confirmed by Gr8Lakes (Copper Contributor)
Solution
This is not possible in git repositories. Access is always granted at the repository level and you can't hide or protect specific files or folders.
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Gr8Lakes (Copper Contributor)
Solution
This is not possible in git repositories. Access is always granted at the repository level and you can't hide or protect specific files or folders.

View solution in original post