Remote Desktop Client for Mac, Error after updating to: 10.8.2

Remote Desktop Client for Mac, Error after updating to: 10.8.2

Upvotes

Upvote

Apr 26 2023
33 Comments (33 New)
New

Hi, I upgraded to Microsoft Remote Desktop Client for Mac: 10.8.2 but a connection I use just errors on trying to connect. I restored 10.8.1 from backup and it's working fine again, so thinking it is the new version causing the problem. It is quite an old server it's connecting to for this connection. Other, more modern servers are working fine with the newer version of RDP client.

Running on Ventura, 13.3.1.

Comments
Copper Contributor

I am having the same problem. 

Brass Contributor

Were you able to restore the older version to check that worked ok?

Copper Contributor

Yes, restoring a previous version from a backup was the fix for me. I think there is an issue with the latest update.

Copper Contributor

I also have the same problem after updating today from 10.8.1 to 10.8.2

I also had to go back to the previous version with backup.

Copper Contributor

So I'm looking for a little guidance from those who rolled back to 10.8.1. I first tried the beta version that was working (2048) but all my PCs disappeared. Not good.

I just found a non-beta copy of 10.8.1 (2048) on a different system here. If I copy the .app and overwrite the newer version should everything work?

Thanks in advance!

Brass Contributor

I restored using TimeMachine but you should be fine to overwrite the new version with the older one. I didn’t have any issues with loosing connections. Think at last MacOS upgrade to Ventura all the connection passwords went and needed re-entered.

Iron Contributor

Yet again, Microsoft haven't even caught up with telling us anything about this update and what it's supposed to fix/add/break. No details given on their official product update page: https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/remote/remote-desktop-services/clients/mac-whatsnew

If they can't even tell us about what it's supposed to do, I would steer well clear of it until they do.

Feel free to provide them feedback on this mishap at the bottom of the site, in the link.

Copper Contributor

Unable to connect

Your session ended because of an error. If this keeps happening, contact your network administrator for assistance.

Error code: 0x4

Copper Contributor

Same problem here!!! 

Error code: 0x4

Get back the older version 10.8.1!!!

Brass Contributor

I update via Apple App Store and this is what it says about this update:

Update to 10.8.2 from Apple App StoreUpdate to 10.8.2 from Apple App Store

Copper Contributor

"Great" work from Microsoft as usual...

Copper Contributor

Fix it ASAP!

Copper Contributor

Since no Microsoft expert here even bothered to offer a solution, I will provide it to you.

Just download the older version of the RDP client here:
https://install.appcenter.ms/orgs/rdmacios-k2vy/apps/microsoft-remote-desktop-for-mac/distribution_g...

Copper Contributor

Update to 10.8.2 (2088) does that for me, too.

Copper Contributor

I can confirm rolling back to Microsoft Remote Desktop 10.8.1 (2048) via Time Machine works great with no issues. Be sure to disable automatic app updates beforehand. I did not have luck with the Beta version link provided above. I lost all my PC connections when I tried that. On macOS Ventura 13.3.1.

Copper Contributor

I'm on MacPro2012 using Microsoft Remote Desktop to connect to Windows Server 2008 and only after upgrading to 10.8.2(2088), I'm getting error code 0x4. Other Windows Servers with recent OS works well. The oldest OS I'm using MRD to connect is Windows Server 2008.

FYI, Windows Server 2008R2 has no problem.

I didn't have a time machine setup so I'm out of luck there. But fortunately, I have an alternate way of accessing remote servers so that is what I'm doing now.

However, I would like to use MRD again when it's fixed.

Copper Contributor

This is really frustrating. There is a definite issue after upgrading to 10.8.2 and connecting to:

Windows Server® 2008 Standard
Version 6.0.6003 Service Pack 2 Build 6003

Works fine when connecting to Windows Server 2012 R2 or Windows 10.

I'm working around it by hopping onto a Windows computer first via VNC and then connecting via RDP. It would be great if Microsoft could fix this ASAP!

Copper Contributor

Same problem here with MRD 10.8.2, trying to connect from my MBP2015 via direct ethernet connection to an old PC running WindowsXP, which used to work great.

Please fix this asap !

Copper Contributor

It is not necessary to involve VNC, if you can make RDP to other server, which is at or above Server 2008 R2 - from there you can hop another RDP session to your legacy machine.

Copper Contributor

same thing Your session ended because of an error. If this keeps happening, contact your network administrator for assistance error 0x4.

Copper Contributor

Any update from Microsoft that this is being worked on? I don't see any new beta versions since this problem was reported.

Copper Contributor

I have the same issue. Mac RDP 10.8.2 can no longer connect to Windows XP. Can connect to Windows 7 and Windows 10.

Microsoft

Hi, thanks for reporting this issue everyone. we are aware of the issue connecting to Windows XP and are looking into it. Thanks for being patient

Microsoft

@wrighta16 can you (and everyone else here) try the latest macOS client beta version 10.8.3?

Brass Contributor

Mac App Store still only showing 10.8.2!?

Where can we get version 10.8.3?

Copper Contributor

Beta 10.8.3 (2095) is working for me!

I'm connecting to a Windows XP vm.

Microsoft

@wrighta16 you can get the beta version from aka.ms/rdmacbeta

do note that the beta version install side-by-side with the Mac App Store version and doesn't share any data with each other. So you would have to re-add your desktops or workspaces. we'll push the hotfix to Mac App Store version once more users reporting the same issue validated the fix

Brass Contributor

Thanks for that @gietal 

I have tried the 10.8.3 Beta and it works fine for the server that failed on the 10.8.2 version.

This was to a Windows Server 2008 Standard machine.

Gets my thumbs up!

Copper Contributor

Looks like 10.8.3 Beta fixes the issue.

Copper Contributor

Thanks - 10.8.3 beta fixed the issue for me connecting to Windows Server 2008.